Vista's restore disk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dyamond, Jul 25, 2007.

1. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Ok, my sisters friend bought a new computer and it came with vista on it. Instead of listening to me and sticking with what she had (XP), my genius sister decided to take her friends vista recovery cd and load vista on to her computer rolleyes. I didnt know that recovery cds did that... thought they only worked with what you had on there *shrugs*

For about 3 weeks now she said its been working fine and today she bought a new web cam, installed it and restarted the computer. When it started it said vista was not genuine (uh duh) and could not load up with out a activation code, now what caused the computer to say that... was it the new installation?

Instead of doing that, because it was not her copy, she opted to re-install vista and now the installation is stalling. If vista fails to re-install, can she re-install the XP that originally came with her pc? Just how badly can she/did she screw up the pc?

Thanks guys :)

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

She should have no trouble reinstalling xp but will need to format the disc during install.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

1) It will probably be necessary to format the drive using a third party program first as Windows will not normally install a earlier version when it detects a later version already on the drive.

2) Vista 'cds' are DVDs.. XP 'cds' are CDs.

Good luck there are lots threads about reverting to XP on MG.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

No need for third party tools, just boot from the xp cd and during the install format like usual.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Just an FYI

Vista will install on a PC and be fully functional without a serial key for 30 days, after that you will need to activate as it goes into limited fuctionality mode, in which you need to enter/buy a serial, or reinstall a previously bought OS.

And some restore DVDs for Vista are full OS.

6. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Thanks Halo, she got it to re-install but now I know what to tell her when 30 days are up LOL

Thanks Cman & Studiot - its good to know she can re-install XP with out a major screw up :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds