Win32?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Can't come up with any, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Hi all, :D
    This is going to seem stupid, but internet explorer won't open jpegs. Actually it gives a message saying that ¨jpeg is not a win32 known file¨ or something to this effect. This happend after installing an imaging program that came with a Sony digital video camera. Uninstalled it, but explorer still won't take charge of jpegs.

Tried re-installing ie6, but that was wishfull thinking. :(

Running windows 98SE. Thanks.

2. Thanks Robo,
    I thought of that, didn't work, I figured just change the path but then I saw¨no home¨ at the end and figured I could possibly make things worst. I was wondering if just pressing default could do the trick, but that didn't work. I've tried comparing with different computers at work(windows network), some have the same layout as mine, but some seem easier. You just have to click on what you want to open, then you get a list of what you can open it with and choose. I figured it might be internet explorer version, but they all have ie6 service pack, just like me. What if I just download ie6's latest service pack?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2003
  3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Hey, Guy!

I had no Open With ... flyout in XP for a while, and got it fixed. It's one of the better new (small) features of XP.

Once you have that, it's just a matter of clicking Choose Program, then picking or adding the program you want the jpgs to open in.

I'm off to hunt for the answer.

4. Wisewiz

Ok, now if I understand you correctly, the other machines you've seen have something you don't have, and you think that might make a difference. In particular, when you right-click on a jpg filename, and slide down to Open With, there's no flyout menu that offers you a list of choices.

Is that right?

(I'm going to hunt down the way to get that function back, if it's right.)

5. Hi Wisewiz,
    That's right, it gives a message saying that ¨jpeg is not a win32 known file¨ . I'm probably going to try and find another file that internet explorer takes controle of, copy and paste its info to my jpegs manager and see if that works. Unless somebody tells me otherwise.

Thanks again for all of your replies, I'm sure there's a simple solution, just got to be patient.;)

6. Wisewiz

Hey, Can't!

I think robo was right above when he suggested that you install Irfan View. It writes registry associations so that it opens jpegs and gifs for you.

The thing seems to be that Windows doesn't know how to asssign an image viewer to your jpegs, now that the other image viewer (the one you uninstalled) has taken over the images and been uninstalled. Irfan View's new associations might be just the kick in the teeth Windows needs.

If you try IV, make sure that jpeg and gif are checked on the associations window that opens during the installation. You can choose associations with Images Only, if you wish, so that your sound files won't be sent to IV.

7. SUCCES!!!!!!!
    Found the problem. When you check in folder options, file types, and you start browsing you see
    JPEG jfif
    JPEG jpeg jpe
    PNG png

but... :eek: the catch is there is also JPG file(it is way before all the others on the list), and that is what internet explorer wasn't opening. I was about to delete and rewrite the paths for the first 3 file types but then JPG FILE caught my eye, and this was the file type that IE didn't open,so I just copied and pasted the file path from JPEG, and the rest is history. I don't know the difference between these file types, but it was more worry than anything else.

Thanks again for all your help guys,:D

8. I'm puzzled however, aren't JPEG and JPG the same? I was always under the impression that they ment the same type of file. I guess even the most basic things could still have surprises in store for use. I guess this is a lesson to use all.:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds