My DVD drive is only reading home burnt DVDs, NOT any orig shop bout DVDs??

Discussion in 'Software' started by jacknscoob, Jun 21, 2012.

1. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hi Guys

My DVD drive is only reading (recognising/playing) discs that I have already burnt onto. It is not reading any original shop bought DVDs.

I was advised to run 'Microsoft Fix it' http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

The 1st time I ran the above, with an original shop bought DVD that I initially couldnt read, afterwards I was able to read it.

However, after this 1st and only one time, now my DVD drive continues not to read any original shop bought DVDs and the above says 'not fixed'.

The computer's DVD drive whirs and makes a noise like it is trying to read the DVDs.

All the DVDs can be read in another computer and by a DVD player.

I have shut down and rebooted several times.

My comouter :
    ALTEC Landing SRS
    Asus. Ath.64 QL65, M/B version: K51AC series

This link is to my actual model of laptop: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K51AC/

Any ideas???

Thankyou in advance

2. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

Hello there, i don't have a fix but i have a few questions that may help myself or the community.

Has your laptop ever been able to read store bought DVD's?
    If yes, can you think of what change you may have made (some software installed perhaps) to knock the functionality off?

What exactly happens when your insert said DVD? for example:
    Does it act like the drive is empty and just simply whirr like you stated above?
    Does it show the DVD's but not play automatically?
    does it know something is in the drive but shows some sort of error?

Have you checked your drive region?
    Right click your DVD drive in 'computer' ---> properties ---> hardware ---> Properties ---> dvd region

When you ran the fix and it worked, had you rebooted before you tried again.?

Sorry for all the questions but we should be able to hopefully derive a fix.

Jacob

3. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hi UKARMYCADET

Thanks for your reply.

Historically my computer has had no problem reading any shop bought DVDs.

The DVD region is correct and in properties it says the device is working properly.

When I put the shop bought DVD into the drive, it wirs and chugs along sounding like it is trying to read it, after a bit the noise stops. When I view the dvd drive on 'my computer', under properties is says 'used space - 0 bytes' 'free space - 0 bytes'. There is no error message.

Normally a DVD that works in the machine, Windows Media Player pops up automatically starts playing the DVD. Also, my software DVD Fab works and software DVD Flick works. Both these pieces of software are now not working with shop bought DVDs.

When you ran the fix and it worked, had you rebooted before you tried again.? Yes

If yes, can you think of what change you may have made (some software installed perhaps) to knock the functionality off?
    None that I can think of I'm afraid. If I think of anything I will update the post.

4. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Update

I have run a CD / DVD cleaner.

When I insert a blank DVD the computer recognises it. I know this because iTunes says 'you have inserted a blank DVD'.

I am scratching my head, doh!:confused:confused:confused

So to summarise my problem, as detailed before. My DVD drives reads some pre-burnt or blank DVDs and not shop bought DVDs.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In response to PM I received:

I have never run iTunes and do not have it installed on any computer in the house. I do know that iTunes can cause problems. Just google for "iTune problems" and you find a lot of hits.

If it were my computer and I had an intermittent DVD problem (in fact I have one computer with two optical drives and the one acts up from time to time), I'd just buy an external DVD burner and attach that.

Removing burning software can cause iptical drive problems. Installing virtual drive software can cause DVD problems.

So I can't begin to tell you what may be causing your problem, there are too many variables.

6. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hi plodr

Thanks anyway, worth a try.

It's weird cos its not like the drive is broken as it reads some DVDs but not others (shop bought DVDs). :zzz

:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds