SP2 with Linksys wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aTa, Oct 1, 2004.

1. aTa

aTa Private E-2

Recently I got a new computer, and passed down the old one. We decided to network them using a wireless router.

Everything worked great in the beginning until I installed service pack 2. When I have it all set up I get a little message saying "limited or no connectivity" and nothing works on both computers internet wise.

Is there something I should be aware of that's new with service pack 2, or is this maybe something that has nothing to do with service pack two?

I'm sorry I can't provide you with much information, but I'm sure it's not a virus/spyware problem because I did format the main computer the inter goes through, also I scanned the other computer.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, with service pack two, and I am POSSITIVE I have this properly set up hardware wise.

thanks.

2. aTa

aTa Private E-2

[​IMG]

I'm using linksys, did I already say that?

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are POSITIVE?

You are getting that limited connectivity message for one of two reasons:

1. You are not connected to the wireless router.
    -or-
    2. You are not getting DHCP from the wireless router.

If its Linksys, I can tell you what I have done to get my Linkcrap stuff working in the past. SP2 should have little to do with it.

I had a Linksys WRT54G and while the laptops would work fine, I had hell with the desktops with WMP54G cards installed.

Here is the only way I was able to get two of these networks working.

1. Set the channel to 8.
    2. Use some sort of WEP, I used 64 bit.
    3. Right click on the wireless connection and choose, view available networks. Then try to join them. Because its using WEP, they will not join automatically.

Now obviously, if this doesn't work, then use a different channel.

You have 11 possible choices.

May I be the first to tell you that Linksys 802.11g equipment listed above is utter crap. I will never buy Linksys again. I was burned twice. Should have learned the first time.

4. say88

say88 Private E-2

sp2.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Goto the network connections and for the network adapter properties uncheck warn if limited or low connectivity.

6. papayiya

papayiya Private E-2

I am having the excact smae problem right now.

One computer without SP2 works, the one with SP2 doesnt

Did you fix it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds