802.11g is it ready?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pirateclem, Aug 29, 2003.

1. pirateclem

pirateclem Private E-2

I am in the process of trying to set up a small wireless network with a linksys wrt54g router and wmp54g nic's. Everything installed and setup fine, problem is that the XP-OS machines disconect from the network every 3-5 minutes and have to be manually reconected. After speaking with linksys support it turns out this is a common problem with the wmp54g cards and none of their fixes help. So does anyone know of a fix or do I take them back? Any suggestions for a low-cost wireless solution that is stable? Should I look at 802.11b?

Thanks in advance

2. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

b is much better for home network, all g is asking for war drivers which slows down your connection...

3. pirateclem

pirateclem Private E-2

this is a small office network. Sharing a few resources, just 4 workstations. I just want it stable at this point!!

4. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

How far away are they?

5. pirateclem

pirateclem Private E-2

about 30 ft. One hallway between the two rooms.

6. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Hell for 30 feet just run wire or if it's not an option use 802.11a....

7. pirateclem

pirateclem Private E-2

wire is not an option. What would be the difference between .11a and .11g?

8. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Well g is much farther and usually g routers cost much more money, a is very close and their routers generally cost less... Use a or b, you don't need anything above...

9. pirateclem

pirateclem Private E-2

is a and b more stable than the newer g hardware? Like I said the setup was no prob and when it works its slick. I just cant keep a connection.

10. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

a and b are certified standards. g is currently in draft form.

11. pirateclem

pirateclem Private E-2

Thanks for the help. About what I figured, take back the hardware and get something else.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just to clear something up.

802.11g hasnt been in draft form for a couple months.

It is a certified standard.

http://standards.ieee.org/cgi-bin/status?wireless

Linksys 802.11g network equipment is pure garbage. Their laptop cards are fine, but the desktop NICs, what you are using, are crap. I have installed three of them, and fought with three of them on different networks. The wrt54g (worked with two of them) has broken incoming logs on every firmware revision to date, doesn't support port triggering, and has only partial UPnP support (only works through MSN messenger 5.x or 6). It also doesn't have a built in firewall.

Haven't tried any othe brand, but I can say these bite.

Vlad, how is G more susceptible to war driving? At least in the realm of Linksys equipment, 802.11b still has the greater range, by far. Two networks I set up with 54g equipment have horrid range problems. What other factors come into play here? I was under the impression they both use a WEP or WPA encryption scheme.

13. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Hmm... I didn't know of the horrid range, never used it myself...

Well WEP is mathematically insecure, and if they capture around 7 gigabytes of data (Usual amount to crack WEP) they can get the key.... So that's gone... Also the farther they are from the network and talking the network as a whole slows down until you get closer... So there's a problem....

14. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

hey you people are funny. Anyway whats the concenus on netgear 802.11g. any good. any opinion on the up and coming netwgear wirelss a802.11g dsl/cable router with built in adsl modem. Hate calling it a modem.

15. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Nifty. Didn't know they'd done that. Looks like it was certified in June, and the last time I did serious looking at it was before then.

16. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Yeah, I never understood that. Technically, a modem is a specific type of digital-analog converter (one that is used for transmitting computer data). AFAIK, broadband cable is realized partially by using a digital signal. I dunno, maybe it's a digital signal on an analog carrier? Anybody know anything about the physical/data link layers for cable, ISDN, and DSL?

17. pirateclem

pirateclem Private E-2

Adrynalyne --

So what type of hardware do you suggest for a small business application. Incoming cable modem, splitting the connection between 4 systems. Cheap and dirty is where I want to stay. 11.b throughput would be fine, the g hardware was the same price so I thought I would give it a spin. Who's stuff do you suggest?

Thanks,
    -p-

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The Linksys stuff would probably be fine if you stay with 802.11b. I've only had experience with their 802.11g equipment.

Better to stick with tried and true technology, IMO. If you are short range, then I would try 802.11a like previously mentioned, but keep your receipts handy, just in case.

If you want to get a feel for what brand offers what, I think you will find these forums extrremely helpful:

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/18

19. {wizard}

{wizard} Private First Class

like you said chicken....the term "cable modem" is used because between your computer and the so called "modem" it is digital...pure simple ethernet. but on the other side..it's mostly analog...the cable companies just run some coax cable across your city and split the frenquencies between the television and the internet...same thing applies for dsl...analog line, analog signal...but decoded and then converted by your modem to be sent to your computer...when they say...Digital Television...yeah right...it's just some digital signal...encrypted, converted, then send onto the analog cable then decoded by your "decoder" then decrypted, then sent, "digitally" to your tv...when i said "encryption" i didn't mean aes or des...i meant frequecy phasing and / or inversion with some correcting and calibrating

i think that no wireless is actually ready...you need knowledge in radiocommunication to fully understand how wireless works...it's not to put 2 antenna on some pc...and then it will magically connect to each other using the specified speed...there is a looooot of factor that comes into place...distance, are they separated by a wall, type of material used in the construction of the wall, electromagnetic interference? and so on....

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You make it sound like rocket science.

Setting up a wireless network isn't difficult at all.

21. 3.14 = Pie

3.14 = Pie Private E-2

Well, I just purchased a wireless-B Router and wireless-B usb adapter and my home network of 3-4 computers including 2 laptops and 2 Desktops with various OS works fine. I get a blazing speed and a superb range. I highly suggest Linksys' Wireless-B Router 802.11b:D For the guy who had the connection problem you should just return to 11.G router system and go get 11.B It provides a well ranged network with a easy to instal system.

Heh, whatever.:eek:

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yep, Linksys WRT54G routers are garbage.

23. {wizard}

{wizard} Private First Class

sorry about that...i know it's not that difficult, but sometimes people ( like some customer) think they can do everything the box says, and they don't consult the proper person before buying the product...

i tought that maybe it could help people make their decision about wireless

24. thomasb

thomasb Private E-2

the main reason for the 802.11g would be if you were using vido transfering and if your not then the 802.11b would work jusk fine abd be just as stable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds