"Free" registry cleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by 81042egh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. 81042egh

81042egh Private E-2

Has anyone else clicked on "Clean Your Windows XP Now-Clean your Windows XP in 1minute. Scan & repair your PC for Free" ? {www.clean-windows-xp.com} I scanned my computer-it took about 4 minutes. The registry cleaner found 277 problems, and could only fix them if I BOUGHT the Registry Cleaner Pro. I clicked on the website, and got this:
    1 Lifetime license-$29.95
    This box was checked-"Yes, Include FREE Lifetime Software upgrade {recommended} for $9.95............
    Does anyone else find this confusing??? A "FREE" registry cleaner for $39.90???? I found this ad on the Revo uninstaller page.
    Also, I downloaded Kaspersky and now cannot completely uninstall it. At one point, I had THREE virus removal tool folders on my desktop. When I installed the Revo uninstaller, specifically to remove Kaspersky, it still couldn't be removed. The contents of the desk top folder changed to "is-CLF3L". Every single time I've tried to delete this folder, I get an error message:
    "Cannot delete advdis.ppl: Access is denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use" HOW do I completely remove Kaspersky from my computer???????

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Don't bother....the only registry cleaner I use and trust is Ccleaner which is REALLY free and very effective, available for down load here at Majorgeeks

Ccleaner Slim

There are too many reg cleaners out there that are dangerous to use, over aggressive and most certainly not worth paying for ;)

welcome to the forums :wave

3. 81042egh

81042egh Private E-2

thanks. I've got the Ccleaner, too. I don't know why I keep clicking on these things! :confused

4. Kestrel13!

yes...best not to click on anything you're not sure about!

With regards to the removal of Kaspersky, what version did you download/install? Was it a trial? Let us know.

What happens of you boot into safe mode and then attmpt to uninstall Kaspersky?

5. Kestrel13!

No the answer isn't to never use a reg cleaner ;) Ccleaner is a safe reg cleaner to use. I just despise the over aggressive reg cleaners that are out there...the ones that find BS errors and charge people for it. Then there's free crap reg cleaners out there too. The only one I would use is as stated --Ccleaner

6. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

7. Kestrel13!

the information contained within the link Dr Moriarty gave you is not going to KILL you PC..what's the matter with you? :confused

8. Kestrel13!

oh perfectly

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What is clear is that you are not exactly making friends nor influencing people. Consider this a friendly warning. :)

10. dr.moriarty

You would have users believe that it is easier to do a re-install ...(how many would also have a custom install CD?)... than to simply use the registry backup file created by CCleaner, if the cleaning has some undesirable results?

rolleyes

11. dr.moriarty

And that great advice is.... where exactly?

tick...tick...tick...

12. Kestrel13!

google apparently LOL which people don't want when they come here asking for specific help..they dont wish to be referred or redirected to a search engine..they want clear answers and helpful info...

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Does seem to have a VERY high opinion of Himself. Not mine though.

14. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

When will this start? Im sick of complaints and reading your bad advice. Im now deleting all your posts. You can try again, however I doubt you have the technical skills to assist people here.

15. opuspenquin

opuspenquin Private E-2

Right on, Major!!!!

16. uncleflynn

uncleflynn Private E-2

re 'Basic computer maintenance everyone should do' above, I registered purely so I could thank Major Attitude for this!

17. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Glad to hear it, thank you!

18. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

About that pesky "virus removal tool", I had the same problem and it drove me nuts for days until I reinstalled the new version from the kaspersky website. I was then able to remove the folder and its contents using the start, control panel, add remove programs route. I hope this helps.

19. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

\]

You could try taking ownership of the file in question
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
    You should back up your registry also, regardless of what else you do
    http://majorgeeks.com/download1267.html
    I use CCleaner exclusively, although there are more thorough options available that I have used in the past. Did you right click on the file to check its properties?
    A reinstall and removal should work, but you can try their removal tool
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463
    I try to purchase American made, but at present only use freeware, open source, firewall and anti virus solutions on our PC's.
    :wave
    Bug

Seems the more I know, the less I understand...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  20. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Isn't that a new look, Bugballou? I like it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds