Eugene Kaspersky warns of Global Internet Terror Attack set for Aug 26th

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by guest_12345, Aug 24, 2004.

1. guest_12345

guest_12345 Guest

Translation Direct From Russian News:

MOSCOW, on August, 24th, Eugeny Pertseva's ITAR-TASS. Internet-terrorists are going to attack a worldnet in three days. The head of the Russian anti-virus laboratory Eugene Kaspersky informed about it today to journalists." The information on mass attack forthcoming on August, 26 already has appeared on some sites on the Internet"

"If its not a proofless threat, the "world wide web" will grind to a halt at a time that is specifically designated to cause the maximum amount of economic damage to the majority of countries", - was noted by Kaspersky." To be warned of such mass attack is simply impossible", he added. In my opinion, "The USA and Western Europe will be the first ones to suffer the most damage"

... Sometimes I wonder what to make of shіt like this. :rolleyes:

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

We don't need enemies to do that, the guys on our side are causing all the havoc you could ever want! ;)

3. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

well if it happens, maybe we can get that old vice presedent gore to make another internet. We might call it -every bodys net-

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if it happens it will give me an excuse to look busy ;)

5. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

lol good one

Hopefully this will stir up more work for us network techs doing security :)

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

That's a good one star. :) Steve

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cool ... means I get a few days off work!

8. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Hope it's not as bad as the Y2K bug.:rolleyes::D

9. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

great this is all I need at work lol. I gotta get my kitchen finished. I could care less if all the computers break and go up in flames. :p

10. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Generally these attempts don't break the local computers, they are attempts to take down the key backbones that handle the world's data transfer. Past attempts have taken down several, but not all, causing slowdowns in net traffic, but not actual stoppage. Doom3 would still run just fine, but you might not be able to spam here. More specifically, credit and ATM cards, cash registers, banking records, cell phones, and anything else that uses net traffic might be affected. If you're worried about it, make sure you've got gas in the car, food in the fridge, and some cash in your pocket for tomorrow in case the stores are crippled. It would be a short term outage at most. If your job is heavily dependent on the network, you may have problems there.... maybe you'll get the day off. ;)

11. DavidGP

12. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

w00t! :D

Right now I can't access my mail server, which kinda sucks cause I'm right in the middle of somthing! Dammit, they've already started... and they started with plus.net! :D

13. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Okay, so it's the 26th here already. Where's the big cyber attack at? :rolleyes: All P.C.'s, Servers and backbones are running just fine.

@Star:- 10-4 on that. That's why we're not touching it yet, except for a bit of testing. ;)

Expect to have an "I, Robot" revolution at 11:30 a.m., after morning tea. :p

14. G.T.

If they're looking to "do the most damage", they'll probably time it to interfere with the European and/or American stock markets, which would be some hours away yet; it's just afternoon of the 25th here still.

15. guest_12345

guest_12345 Guest

I dunno, personally I wouldn't make much of this myself, lets remember there have been "threats" like this in the past that never even saw the light of day. Like that so-called "super-worm" that idiot promised to "unleash" if the US didn't change it's policies toward the middle-east or some shіt. Remember that one? The only thing that differenciates this is that it's being reported by a generally reliable Russian source (Kaspersky Labs, Eugene himself) which most likely from what I understand, has placed "listening posts" in the underground black-hat/cyber-terrorist community.

Coolllll. :cool:

16. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

my guess is that they'll DoS microsoft when they release sp2 on windows update. as if sp2 isn't enough...:D

17. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Tch, like THAT hasnt happened before. (remember Blaster?)

18. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I'm just gonna get Kodo or somebody to fix it. :D

19. G.T.

You're most likely right. Most likely is no attack at all. Or at worst, if there IS an attack, there may be some slowdown. (shrug) Won't be the end of the world as we know it.

20. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Interesting new term... What the hell is a jitter?

21. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

After effects of too much good tequila...;)

22. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Roger that... :)

Found it.
    "Jitter measures the delay in streaming media and VoIP transmission over a broadband network"

I can sleep well now.

23. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, the big Cyber Attack never happened, just as I thought.

It is well to be on perment 'semi-alert' of sorts in any event, i.m.o.

24. cindysnoopy

cindysnoopy Shotgun!

I always thought it was "a measure used in mixing drinks that usually holds 1 to 2 ounces"

...oh, that's a jigger :D

25. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

Well, it just turned Aug. 26 over here in the states. Hold yer horsies there. ;)

26. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

*taps finger*

27. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Yeah...too many jiggers give you the jitters...can only be cured by more jiggers..ad infinitum.

28. The1God

The1God Private First Class

Maybe is is set for AOL users!!!

29. DavidGP

Well Jim seems no JITTERS today on the world wide webby all looks hunky dory ..... :)

Jitter a nice word tho!

30. G.T.

Could be, although they'd never notice the difference.

31. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Jim asked me today what I thought about it and I laughed. Main reason is it is a huge prediction to throw out there, so you had better be really sure (inside knowledge) or your going to look really stupid, not a good idea if your in the business. Of course, theres 2 hours left EST and 5 PST, so I will wait.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds