Windows thumbnail preview for some .avi's causes explorer.exe crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by Flav_cool, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Private E-2

Hi,

It was only recently I realized the cause of this problem. At first I thought it was some crashes that caused it, so I "repair installed" windows, still happened. I then thought it might be malware, so I completely cleaned it out and even asked for help in the spyware section here, same thing happens.

I have finally concluded that it is a software conflicting problem so I'm posting here.

Basically the problem is, when I browse to some .avi's (only some do this, not all), and then select the file, explorer.exe crashes. It will also crash if I simply browse to the folder w/ thumbnail view W/O selecting any files. I realized explorer.exe crashes upon trying to generate that little "preview image" in the thumbnails, or on the side when not in thumbnail view and selecting.

I do'nt know what could be causing this. I have ffdshow installed, and maybe that's the problem, but why would it only be affecting some files?

P.S. this also happens in safe mode.

Please help,

Flaviu

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Check your codecs by going to your control panel, then sounds and audio devices, next click the hardware tab and select video codecs and properties. Check through them one by one. This is where your problem lies most likely. If you have Divx 6.0, you may want to remove it and use Divx 5.2.1 here, http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4297

Steve

3. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Private E-2

These are the codecs installed, I might try unistalling ffdshow, but I don't feel like it just yet:

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds