After using comp for awhile it starts to freeze then unfreeze then freeze again

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Jul 24, 2006.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I'm not sure if this is software or hardware related, but I have to start somewhere. After booting up the computer and using it for about 10 to 20 minutes, it then starts to freeze up. It'll freeze for about 30 to 60 seconds then be usable for a few seconds, then freeze up again, ect.
    The last time it did this I immediately restart and went into bios to get a reading on the cpu temp. (which was around 130 fahrenheit). My system is as follows: AMD 1.3 gig with 512mb sdram and a 80gig harddrive.
    it's been running fine for along time. the programs that I used recently is something called fresh devices, shareware version and i went to PCpitstop and ran their tests on the system. Any Ideas? thanks mcduke

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> After booting up the computer and using it for about 10 to 20 minutes, it then starts to freeze up. It'll freeze for about 30 to 60 seconds then be usable for a few seconds, then freeze up again, ect. Any Ideas? thanks << mcduke

Since this is your third post here a hearty "Welcome to Major Geeks!" ;)

As for your current problem; can you give us a few more details like the name and version of the operating system you're running, and exactly what changes you made while using the Fresh Devices program? Also what is the status of your last few system restore points? You might try a System Restore; back to a date before all these problems started!

Additionally, when was the last time you used the handy Windows utility "Disk Cleanup" and when was the last time you entirely defragmented your drives? Have you ever used the freeware utility CCleaner (crap cleaner) to clean up all of the leftovers on your drive? If you haven't already tried it you definitely should because it works great and is very easy to use as well.

From the details which you provided in your post it sounds like you may have either (1) changed a setting using Fresh Diagnose and your system is not a happy camper (2) some "Start-Up" program (a new one or maybe even not-so-new) which is running when your computer boots up is conflicting with the rest of your system.

If a good hard drive cleaning and defragmenting does not work; try disabling the programs that are set to start at boot-up (disable them one by one, that is) and then reboot your computer and let it run for a while. This is a little painstaking; to have to disable them one by one and then reboot and let that PC run for a while; and then repeating the process - but it will be worth it in the long run! ;)

Good Luck!

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Hi and thanks for the hearty welcome. The os is good old windows 98se (no restore option there) and I just did a thourogh scan disk and defrag when I noticed the problem. I didn't change any settings with fresh diagnose. My system boots up fine and I was just able to use it for about 40 minutes woth no problems. Now i'm using winamp to play a song and it freezes, and makes an irritating electronic noise, then plays the song for a few seconds and then freezes, ect. It's just weird that I can use it for so long and then it freezes for a minute then works for, well less then a minute, then freezes again within 30 to 60 seconds and continues this cycle. Now even after rebooting, and it reboots to the window ok, it starts the freeze unfreeze cycle immediately. Maybe it's a hardware problem that when the computer gets to a certain temp it starts this cycle. but, like I said, I checked the temp in bios immediately when it starts to freeze and it seems fine. Would the cpu cause this, or the memory?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds