new guy; very frightened!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by jobin, Aug 30, 2008.

1. jobin

jobin Private E-2

yea, i know guys are supposed to be tough and not show fear...but today i am fearful. my laptop recently absorbed some kind of bad stuff and now the machine doesn't work well. i am in foreign land where the people use little pictures, not letters, to make words so asking for help here is not easy. to double my trouble i am pretty ignorant about the internal plumbing of the computer, esp the things i can't see-the software!! i come to you on bended knee and ask these first questions:
    should i care if my trouble is a virus, a trojan, a worm, a spy, or any particular 'malware'? i am prepared to follow the posted instructions to fix my machine but could i make a mistake, because of my ignorance, and really get f***ed up permanently and thereby render the machine useless?
    i have read some other posts but can't clearly follow the ideas because of my lack of vocabulary and necessary knowledge. can i still succeed?
    thanks, and are there any hidden costs?

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

WELCOME to MGs

From your post your vocabulary seems fine, we have a lot of members who have English as a second or third language and if you have trouble with the READ & RUN ME FIRST just ask for help.

no question is too stupid except the one that in not asked, no one on this site will make fun of your lack of knowledge.

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MGs.

This site has no hidden costs and all the help you receive is given by people who do this in addition to their regular jobs. Sometimes you may have to wait a little while in the Malware Forum but that is because they are very busy but they will respond.
    As BILLMCC66 said, if you have any questions about a procedure, ask away.
    Good Luck.

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

just take your time going through the read & run me guied.

It looks a bit daunting at first, but you should be fine;)

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Go very slow with the tasks set out in the Read and Run Me guide in the malware forum, if you hit any problems with running the guide, start a thread in the malware forum, attach the logs you already have and mention why you couldnt run any of the other scans, mention error messages you may have gotten, or just that the software didnt run.

The malware experts here can slowly take you through all the steps so dont worry.

6. duckfeet

duckfeet Corporal

Welcome: I went thru the same sort of thing, and they really helped me, just going thru the "ReadMeFirst" and downloading and running the malware scans, actually got rid of my problems, but I wasn't sure, and so I uploaded the files anyway...but it is an incredible learning experience...I know it seems daunting, but you will know so much more about your computer just by trying follow those instructions, and anything left, they will tell you how to remove...

Main thing also is to have a little patience: I was *sure* they had forgotten about me, but nope, as soon as my turn came--about 24 hrs or so, in my case, Tim showed up the first time I had problems, and then another malware removing pro showed up my second time, but I log in now, just for the education: I'm trying to learn how to read some of the logs better myself, as my friends are always wanting help...but best help I"ve given them is just to have them do what you are doing: log in, and go thru the slow but useful malware scans, and other suggestions they give, *then* upload the files, and tell them yer problems...

Best wishes!

7. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

Hi jobin :wave

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Nope, no hidden costs - an amazing thing, given all the smart people around here :) .

8. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

welcome to the forums :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds