Wireless routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lev, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Does anyone have an idiot's guide website to installation and equipment needed/recommended? I know, having read some previous router threads on here and other websites, it'sshouldn't be a complicated procedure.

I currently run dial-up but am in the process of moving over to probably 1.5 broadband, and wish to run 2 PCs from it that are at opposite ends of the house (of course! :rolleyes: ) Provider will be Clearwire if that makes any difference on router/card recommendations. I hear some manufacturers equipment hates Netgear and others hate Linksys...heheh....this is gonna be fun. Any advice appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What is the square footage of your house, how many stories?

Any cordless phones? What band do they run on?

For the record, I hate all of them ;)

I'd grab an Apple Airport Extreme if the price wasn't so outrageously stupid.

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

You can try the new router that has "N" technology or what not made by belkin. Though, I've heard mixed reviews on it, some bad some good. To use N technology you need to have their network cards that support that tech too.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i don't mind linksys, but who knows...ive heard that d-link is a bit easier to set up. I guess you need to look at how far away your going to set up from the router....imho, the more antennas on the wireless equipment, the better. and make sure you set up the security features for wireless, to keep people from usiing your connection, and from possibly getting to your computers...i have 2 neighbors who leave their wireless unsecured...i don't use it, but i could...very easy. :)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ayup, my Powerbook currently is picking up two unsecured networks.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Not sure as in England we don't do square footage, but our house is small. The 2 PCs are about 60 feet apart max I'd say, through two internal walls. It is a single storey house. We have 3 cordless phones and they run on whatever band they were factory set at (sorry, I have no idea).

I've never done networking before, so here come the silly questions ;) Do I have to put a network card in both machines too? Kinda makes sense but I'm not sure and am trying to work out the total cost. Hence the need for a step-by-step idiots guide to networking ;)

@thesmokingun & Omegamerc.....seems everyone has a preference of manufacturer. Sounds like th trick is to find what is most compatible with the modem, which incidentally will be wireless, but I need to get the spec from Clearwire first I think :) Thanks for your input guys. Keep it coming if you have any more!

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, only 60ft apart, you shouldn't need any extravagant. However, with the cordless phones...thats gonna be interesting :)

I'm using a Dlink Di-624+ and so far its worked better than comparable products from Linksys and Netgear.

Dlink is one of the easiest to setup, really.

You will need a wireless nic for each computer.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Excuse my ignorance....wireless nic? I don't think you mean nickname, so I'm not sure what you mean. Card?

I've heard from various sources (incl. thesmokingun) that people like the ease of which Dlink can be set up. Thanks for this :)

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nic=Network Interface Card.

or for short, card :)

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Sweet :) Thanks for you help Adrynalyne.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Quite welcome. Not sure how many channels wireless routers have in the UK, but you will probably need to do some tweaking to find the right channel to coexist with your cordless phones.

12. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I'm a couple of states above you in Oregon. I have no idea what they have in the UK either ;) I had a wire modem and only one PC linked to my DSL when I was in England.

13. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I have the DI-624 also. It took me about 15 minutes and I didn't even need to unfold the quick set-up instruction pamphlet. The new 2.4 GHz phones might be a problem, but older ones use a different frequency.

14. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Two of the phones are 2.4Ghz, but old. The main phone/answer machine is brand new and 5.8 GHz, if that makes any difference.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, this comment threw me off ;)

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5.8 is the way to go. Different frequency, so there is no worry of conflict.

17. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Ahhh I'm with you now. What I meant is, having lived in England for 39 years where we don't do square footage of houses, my brain hasn't yet readjusted to this american way of thinking, so I still discuss houses in terms of 2,3 or 4 bedroom sizing, not square footage. Continental Europe, incidentally, goes by square footage. Brits are just wierd :p

Thanks again for your help A :)

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Anytime :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds