Create & Upload Personal Web Page?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dmmcintyre, Jan 6, 2004.

1. dmmcintyre

dmmcintyre Private E-2

I recently got cable internet access. With this I am allowed 10mb of web space. I have never done this and would like to learn. I have Microsoft Front Page (XP Pro) and have played with it. It seems pretty self explanitory. I contacted my cable company and they informed me that I MUST use a FTP Server program to upload my web page. This is where I have no idea as to what I'm doing or where to get an FTP Server program. Any suggestions as to where I can go for instuctions to create, upload a web page and where to get the FTP Server program.

Thanks,
    D

P.S. Running WIN XP Home

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you don't need a server. you need the FTP client..
    you can use this one..it's pretty easy to use..

http://www.smartftp.com/download/

you will need the FTP server address, login and password information from your ISP in order to login to their FTP.

From that point it's as simple as dragging and dropping the files from your local pc window view to the FTP server window view.

Good Luck!

3. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

Front page, YIKES, make sure your "FREE" web space server has Front Page extensions available or else it won't work. If you're going to be looking at OPC (other people's code), you'll probably want something like Coffeecup. If you want to stay with wysiwyg progies then Front page will get you there but your code will bloat and you'll need those extensions installed on the server too. You could look into a nice CSS wysiwyg like maybe Antenna. Pretty cool progie and easy to learn, $32 bucks US though.

But like I said, as long as you have Front page use it, it won't cost you any more money. ;)

As for FTP is easy (and free if you use SmartFTP v 1.0.973), hundreds of client tutorials out there too, just google it or check with your isp, they probably have a tut too.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You don't need FP extensions if you build yoursite with FP, unless you use items that require it.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

They probably don't have FPEx installed because they are requesting him to upload using a regular FTP program.. doing this will ultimately render a FPEx enabled site useless.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds