Err_name_not_resolved

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by curtains56, Aug 2, 2013.

1. curtains56

curtains56 Private E-2

Running windows 7 on pc. Network and sharing center shows internet access and desktop gadgets are working. Using WIFI and all other computers and phones can connect. When I try to browse, I get a message that says DNS lookup failed. I am able to ping. Help!!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is your Windows 7 version at SP1?

What I would try is to right click the wifi icon in your system tray and choose Troubleshoot Problems as this will flush the DNS cache on your PC, do this though with no browser windows open.

Then use CCleaner to run a clean on your PC, this will delete temp internet files and cookies, then try your Internet again to see if it works, do if it does not let us know any error messages.

If not then try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking (F8 at boot) and see if you can connect, if you can then possible that a startup application is causing the issue and to resolve that use msconfig and its startup tab to disable all startups and reboot, then if you can connect great, then go back into msconfig and enable one startup at a time and reboot after each and test, this will narrow down the problem application as once you enable it you should get no internet.

If you plug your PC in via the Ethernet port and not use Wifi, can you connect to the internet?

Have you installed any new software just before this happened, or any weird occurrences before it happened?

Have you done a malware scan of late? if you have not do one and if anything is found in that initial scan then follow the below as written

3. curtains56

curtains56 Private E-2

I copied CCleaner from a different computer, but it won't install without internet. All the other suggestions did not solve the problem, either. I would like to run CCleaner if you can tell me how to install it.
    Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds