MS Administrator Password Forgotten

Discussion in 'Software' started by Global2004, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Global2004

Global2004 Private First Class

Hello to anyone that can help,

My daughter is now asking to have an account set up on our computer, so I would like to do this...with restrictions.

How do I properly set up an account for her? Preferably one without internet access. Moreso to keep her from downloading anything onto our family computer. We've worked hard enough to keep it clean and running properly.

The thing I'm not sure of is if we set up an Administrators password, because until now we've never had to use one. When we reboot our computer, our MS Windows XP Pro shows the "WORK" icon, we click on it and our screen icons come up.

How do I make this account for my daughter? Will I need my Administrator Password? If forgotten, how do I retrieve it?

Thanking you in advance,
    Global

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

On XP Pro with only one account "Work" you may have Admin rights associated already. Just go to control panel from the start menu and then into User Accounts. Try to add the new account and see if it prompts for Admin password. It very likely won't.

If it does you'll have to download a linux based boot CD that will attempt to crack the password. But cross that bridge only if you come to it.

3. Global2004

Global2004 Private First Class

Thanks for your help Sach2.

Global

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds