No video signal from graphics card or onboard graphics?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elphilipe, Jun 19, 2010.

1. elphilipe

elphilipe Private E-2

Hi,

I turned on my pc yesterday and was greeted with "no signal recieved" on my monitor. As my graphics card is getting ons a bit I thought maybe it had died without warning. However after removing it and connecting to the onboard video port im still getting no signal. I've proven the monitor on another pc which was fine and tried the problem pc on another screen which gave a similar no signal message. Im not getting any strange beeps and it sounds as if its booting up ok. I can't see the bios to confirm if i need to change over to onboard video manually even without the graphics card in.
    It's a M2N32 sli deluxe board with 8800GTX card so im probably overdue a failure somewhere, but some help to exactly where the problem lies would be greatly appreciated. cheers

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you aren't getting beeps, it appears that the card and the video chip are okay.
    Try a different VGA cable between the monitor and the computer.

3. elphilipe

elphilipe Private E-2

im using a brand new vga cable and adaptor to convert from 9 pin serial out on the mother board to 15 pin on the monitor. All bought new today.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Did you get the single beep, on post ?
    If not have you checked your ram- remove, blow out slot and replace, and see if it will post a bios screen then

5. elphilipe

elphilipe Private E-2

yeah, apologies i didnt make that clear originally. I get the single beep at the beginning but none after that. I tried cleaning the RAM out and I also tried just booting up with 1 stick of RAM in and switched them around but no luck as yet. cheers

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Enter your monitor's onscreen menu.
    On mine there is a 'Setup' menu item; yours may be different.
    Look for something like Auto Source and flip between Auto and Manual.

Had that screw up on me once: SyncMaster 940Be

7. elphilipe

elphilipe Private E-2

No luck there either unfortunately, tried various combinations of auto source and manual on the monitor still nothing from either VGA or DVI from graphics card (monitor is iiyama prolite E2200ws). Checked the monitor against another laptop via VGA and its fine, picked it up straight away. cheers

8. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

If you have access to another video card try it and see. If still no video then I'd say the motherboard has problems with both the onboard video and the video card slot.

Sam

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds