system won't let me access system restore or task manager?

Discussion in 'Software' started by NotSellingHats, Jan 1, 2006.

1. NotSellingHats

NotSellingHats Private E-2

Hi,

I hope you can help.

I have just followed your directions to remove spyware and viruses from my home pc.

It seemed to work - I just ran a full system scan in AVG and it reports no viruses etc.

However, my system won't let me access system restore or task manager? ...

When I try to bring up the task manager (ctr alt del) it tells me that task manager has been disabled by my system administrator - even though I am the system administrator?

Also, I turned off system restore when running all of the scans etc, but now when i try to turn it back on, I keep getting a rundll32.exe response like "could not be located in dynamic link library WINSTA.dll"

Can you help?

Steven

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi and welcome to MajorGeeks.

I don't know what operating system you are using, but assuming it's XP,

Download THIS file to your desktop, then double-click and Yes.

That should hopefully fix Task Manager, if not see if THIS helps?

As far as System Restore, is it XP, and do you have a Windows CD? (proper Windows CD and not a Restore CD)

You could also try logging off and on, or creating an Admin account and transferring your files and settings, but that's a messier option.

3. jester0321

jester0321 Private E-2

thanks so much for this help... i finally got it done... i have been wondering and wondering why i couldn't do it... I thought my wife had disabled it and was getting really ticked off

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds