big picture

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Tony Baloney, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Tony Baloney

Tony Baloney Private E-2

I am receiving help and I am very grateful. I am working through the pages on cleaning up my system and it's very illuminating. My machine is still not 100% but I believe in the efficacy of what you do here and I am following through on the instructions in the posts. I would like eventually, however, to get the "big picture" as much as possible. Right now I am following the posts as if I'm an inexperienced cook nervously following the directions in a cookbook. What are some books or other resources I can refer to that will start (in a gradual and approachable way) clueing me in to the CONTEXT and significance of what I'm doing here and now? I know I'm in for the long-haul. If I wanted to be a "guru" in 20 years, where would I start today?

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

This is a great place to start.
    You can learn a lot just by reading through the posts here.

3. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

wildwolf is right..here is a GREAT place to start..these geeks caught me everything I know today (I don't profess to be a geek mysellf but what i've learnt here i've learnt well) Combine that with online studies, college courses and excellent books at the library there are many many ways to start your learning.....the whole internet is at your finger tips dive in :-D ENJOY most of all

4. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

:wave Tony Baloney

Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

5. Tony Baloney

Tony Baloney Private E-2

nervous

Hi,
    I did the malware clean-up routine and submitted my logs. I haven't heard anything yet. I went ahead and downloaded Avast! and Online Armor. I also downloaded from MG's the Norton Removal tool. I disconnected the Internet, removed Norton and installed Avast!. My Windows firewall was not running. I reattached the Internet and installed Online Armor. I'm just concerned that some bug might have gotten in while Online Armor was being installed. Any suggestions?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

With malware being a major pest these days the malware forum is very busy, so with us only at present having a few malware experts helping out it "may" take a day or so for them to get to your logs as all of us helping out here do it freely in our spare time, thus are not around all the time, work/family etc.

The malware forum does work differently to the rest of the forum in which the active threads are the oldest to newest, so do try not to bump your thread to the top of the forum page as in essence its putting you to the back of the work queue. Do also stick to one thread in malware as your information of past advice can go missing and cause the length of time to assist you to be longer than normal ( I have merged two of your malware threads as Chaslang our malware guru has been assisiting you already, so is well worth having him continue ).

We know how much a pain in the behind being infected is so please bare with us as the malware experts will get to you as soon as they can, do try not to deveate from the guide and install other applications as this can hamper the cleaning routine and may also cause you to need to run some parts of the guide again as your system will have changed, but they will advise you of this if needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds