dial-up settings won't stay checked

Discussion in 'Software' started by snglnluvnit, Apr 19, 2007.

1. snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit Private E-2

I recently installed win98se and updated via cd's and downloads from a highspeed line. Now when I try to use the dial-up all the settings go back to when I was using the "I connect using a LAN line" settings.. Any suggestions or areas to investigate are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Internet explorer, tools options, connections, always dial a default connection. Give that a shot.

3. snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit Private E-2

Thanks, unfortunately I have tried that, then upon reboot, it goes right back to "I connect using a LAN connection"

4. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Open up IE, choose Tools - Internet Options - Connections. OR if you have an IE icon on your desktop, right-click on the IE icon and choose "Properties" then click the Connections tab.

Under "Dial-up and Virtual Private Networking settings" you should have your dial-up connection. If it doesn't say "default" in brackets after this, highlight it by clicking on it with the mouse and then click the button that says "Set Default." Click Apply and check that the word default is placed after the connection and then click OK.

Then you should be able to use "Always dial my default connection." If that doesn't work, try using "Dial whenever a network connection is not present."

But the first solution is more likely to be the answer.

5. snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit Private E-2

Thanks, I have done both??? Am really confuse/frustrated on this one.. But thanks for your suggestions.

6. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Were you using Internet connection sharing (ICS) or plugged into an ADSL modem or what when you were using the high speed connection? Knowing what you were doing might help diagnose the problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds