PC Switches off intermittently

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bohana34, Aug 18, 2008.

1. bohana34

bohana34 Private E-2

Hi All.
    This is the problem I am faced with. My PC boots up and switches itself off ( not in a normal shut down way ). It just powers off instantly. This could happen ten times this way. Then it might switch off after three minutes of being on my desktop. The longer I leave it off, the longer it stays on. Last night, it stayed on for about 40 minutes. In the meantime, I have cleaned the fans and removed as much dust as I can physically see. Fans are turning well. However, this might be irrelevant. Thge problems started a few days ago when I wanted to defragment my PC. I always start by clearing up my c drive. When I asked if I wanted to permanently delete the files, I clicked yes. After 5 minutes of little progress, The PC went off. And so it began. As I said, that might be an irrelevant point, however, I am not an expert.
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

First check if your fans are working sound like an overheating problem

3. bohana34

bohana34 Private E-2

As I said, the fans are turning perfectly.

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

with it not turning off normaly but just going off instantly it sounds like a power issue possibly. do you have another psu to put in temporarily to test ?

5. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

If the pc is older, the cpu cooler (heat sink) might be clogged with dust and hair between the fins. You can try blowing it out with a can of compressed air by using the little hose that it comes with, and gently bending it to blow sideways at the fin slots. But if its really clogged you might have to remove the fan to brush out between the fins and then blow it out and put the fan back.

Typically when a PC shuts down immediately its doing it to save the system from damage and the usual problem is overheating although overclockers also can cause this if a voltage setting or similar is set too high.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds