Wirelss Connection Intermittently Stops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yare, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Yare

Yare Private E-2

First, before I post this, I have had this problem for over a year and I cannot even begin to express my frustration. If anybody can help me I would be so grateful. So, in advance, thank you for your help.

Ok, so in my house we have three computers. One is the main computer downstairs that has the wireless router that the other two computers upstairs connect to. In my room is a rather new laptop running Windows XP Professional with a built in "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter" wireless card. In the other room my sister has a desktop that connects to the router via some other wireless means that I don't have access to right at this moment because she is asleep in bed. The router is some nature of D-link 416+. The wireless network is for a Cable Modem connection.

My computer is able to detect and connect to the wireless network. It says I have an "excellent connection" or "very good connection." The connection sometimes works ok for hours. However, every so often the connection breaks. However, it's not like the computer actually states that there is a break, instead I stop receiving data for some reason. Examples of this would include being on instant messenger. If I try to look at profiles I get a perpetual "please wait..." message. This includes my e-mail as well. It will think and think. I have trouble accessing web pages and checking e-mail as well. In fact, on instant messenger, it states that the other user "has signed on" (when in fact they've been on continuously) and I noticed that in one instance it happened at almost precisely 5 or 6 minute intervals (don't remember which). The thing is, it then sort of reconnects sometimes and keeps going. This isn't "lag," it's something else. Also, now the wireless thing informs me that I "have connected to the wireless network" sometimes when this problem occurs. It's important to note that at no point does the connection actually state that there is no signal or something similar; it is always "excellent" or "very good."

I have found that I can sometimes "kick" the computer and get the connection to work. By closing Instant Messenger and then reopening it, the connection will be solid for a few moments. The most interesting thing, however, is that when I run the telephony program Skype and am connected to another user, there are no problems at all with the connection. The connection stays continuous. I also found this to be true when playing Age of Mythology online. However, this is not the case for World of Warcraft, as I still have major "lag spots" where the connection pseudo-drops.

The other computers sometimes have problems online, but we had always thought that this was possibly an ISP issue.

I have researched this problem to the point of exhaustion. I tried a winsock repair (which may have been corrupted anyway) but the problem continues to persist. When I try to "repair connection" I get the error message:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: connection to the wireless network."

Before the winsock fix, I got a different error message:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

I AM able to connect through an ethernet cable at college (Duke University) with no trouble at all with things like this sporadic drop problem. The problem only occurs at home.

While I know something about computers, I really know nothing about networking and such. My dad knows much more than I do. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. I can give you any other information you need concerning the router, other computers, etc. I will do ANYTHING to get this fixed. Thank you so much for your assistance.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I would definately start with the following

install latest drivers for
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter

Update firmware for your wireless router

install sp2 as it has better wireless support.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds