Setting Up a New Computer to Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kevinc0123, Jun 27, 2008.

1. kevinc0123

kevinc0123 Private E-2

Well I've been up half the night talking to technical support people who didnt know what they were doing so I decided to come here to ask. I just set up a Dell desktop computer in my room and tried to get it hooked up to the internet. At first it kept saying limited or no connectivety so I ended up setting up a static ip and it says its connected. The problem is that no websites will load and I looked and saw that it is sending packets away but is receiving none. Anyone maybe know why?
    OS- Windows XP
    Wireless card- WG111 Netgear wireless-g 2.0 adapter

I installed the driver for it and did everything I could think of to get this to work please help me..

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

If a pc can access the router, but not the Internet, it's most likely DNS - domain name server which translates human readable web addresses into numericals. i.e. www.yahoo.com to 4 sets of number.

Power off and on the modem or router if you have one.

If you're connecting wirelessly, you must have a wireless router. Some modem has built-in router. Look at the manual for setup. Follow the steps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds