no sound coming from the right speakers... help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluebear, Nov 9, 2004.

1. bluebear

bluebear Private E-2

Hi everybody,
    My speakers have been acting this way ever since I could remember. I recently borrowed speakers from my relative, and plugged that in to see if sound would come out from BOTH speakers, but interestingly enough, no sound came out from one of the speakers. So it can't be my speakers that are causing the sound problem. I hear that sometimes the sound card can stop working effectively, is this true? I wonder if that's the case. If anyone can help, that would be great! Thanks a bunch :)

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Just a guess ,, have you tried reinstalling/updating drivers ?? sometimes a kick up the arse will fix.

3. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

If you haven't already, check your volume settings. Make sure the balance is centered.
    If that doesn't work, remove the sound card (if you have one) and put it back in. May be a bad connection. If that doesn't work, try a different card.

Good luck.

4. bluebear

bluebear Private E-2

I checked my volume settings, and they all seem to be fine. I'm not sure if this means anything, but I moved the balance over to one side completely, and no sound came out. Sound did come out when I either had it balanced or I had it on the other side. How do you remove the sound card? Also, how do you reinstall/update the drivers? Thanks!

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Check your wires, are they plugged in all the way?
    Bad wire?
    Can you switch speakers?, left become right, right becomes left, to see if it is problem with speaker.

6. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I'm beginning to think it might be a problem with your sound card. If you can borrow another to try in your machine, that would be helpful. If the problem disappears, it was in the sound card that you just swapped out.

If you can get one of the same make and model to swap into your machine, that would save some hassle and give you a more certain result because you wouldn't have to change sound system drivers.

But you can probably test your speakers to eliminate them as the cause of the problem: plug them into another source, such as a Discman or another computer.

As for the results you got when you checked the volume and balance settings: I'd expect just that result if one of the two channels was dead. Unfortunately, your finding doesn't point to the source of the problem beyond identifying which channel has gone out on you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds