Torrents.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Prophets21, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

My torrents are downloading hellishly slow. I am using Azureus and UTorrent. It's the same with both, I get 2-3kb/s on average.

I am using ports 6881-6999 or 53000-55000. When I test them on this site: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 it says they are "Stealth" ports. E.G. They aren't open. :rolleyes:
    Does this mean my firewall is interfering with my ports?

I use a WAG354G Linksys router.

2. Prophets21

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes you need to forward those ports, and then your downloads should speed up because bit torrent rewards you for uploading stuff, thus increasing your download speeds.

4. Prophets21

Thanks, you just reminded me to change my upload limit, which in turn made my download faster! :)

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You shouldn't really use port 6881 because a lot of ISP's throttle it.

6. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

Ok- since we are talking about this i will ask my question. What speeds should I be getting? I have like 6 things seeded, and about 50kb/s uploading on average. However, my download speed never goes over about 40kb/s per download. Is this right? I turn my firewall off, so that's not the problem. I am using the default port, with Azureus.

7. Prophets21

Ok won't do. I will put it back to 53000-55000. I only put it on 6881 because I thought it might have been essential to download fast. If that makes sense? :)

8. Insomniac

Yeah, kind of, but using another port won't slow it down.

You only now need just ONE port (Incoming TCP) with Azureus, no matter how many torrents you have.

Make sure you have the latest version as it includes a lot of improvements and bug fixes.

HERE is some information on port 6881.

Earl, no one can tell you what you should be downloading at without knowing your internet connection.

Even then, there are a lot of variables when downloading torrents.

9. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

Oh- I suppose I should have included that. I have comcast cable, with a 3mb/s connection.

10. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

hmmm. Any suggestions on what to do, other than changing the port?

-EDIT- Checking Torrent Spy's Forums right now, then moving to Azureus'.

11. Insomniac

You should be downloading at a maximum of 375 kbs. (My maths is probably wrong and I'm tired)

Is your upload speed set to unlimited, as that affects your download speed?

Is it only with Azureus, what is your typical download speed?

12. Insomniac

Kaula, mate not a good idea to link sites that supply warez.

I know it's not a direct link, but still?

13. Prophets21

I have a 2mbs connection. My D/L speeds now on uTorrent are varying from 30kb/s to 85kb/s. Upload speed is limited at 20kb/s.

14. Insomniac

Yeah, I said it wasn't a direct link, but it still offers warez regardless of whether it also offers legal stuff.

Anyway, not worth going on about it.

15. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

Ok- Insom, On all online speed test I get over 1.5mb/s min, so how do you figure I should only be downloading at 375kb/s? My upload speed is set to 120 kb/s, and download is unlimited.

Kaula- On that torrent, I get around 250kb/s.

I have been reading up a bit on my modem, a SurfBoard 3100, and it seems that it sort of sucks.

16. Insomniac

Mate, that doesn't make sense. "1.5 mb/s min"? Which one is it, per second or per minute?

"Only 375 kb/s", that's pretty good as a download speed.

Now I'm drunk at the moment, so you can work it out and double-check my maths. :p

You said you had a 3 Mb/s connection.

That's Megabits, not Megabytes.

There are 8 bits = 1 byte.

There are 1,024 bytes = 1 kilobyte (KB)

There are 1,024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte (MB)

17. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

Yeah, I know. 1.5mb/min was a typo. I am just not posting here when I am tired anymore :rolleyes: .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds