Windows XP Greek --> English

Discussion in 'Software' started by thisisu, Jun 13, 2006.

1. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hi! I'm here in Greece right now.. and I'm on a computer that has Windows XP Pro SP2 installed.. but the language is in Greek. I have permission to change it to English so that I can understand it better, is there an easy way to change the language barrier from Greek to English in Windows XP Pro SP2. My system specs are:

P4 3.2GHz 1GB DDR RAM Onboard Gfx and onboard sound. This is a laptop.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I'm on a computer that has Windows XP Pro SP2 installed.. but the language is in Greek. I have permission to change it to English so that I can understand it better, is there an easy way to change the language barrier from Greek to English in Windows XP Pro SP2. thisisu <<

Not sure if this is 'exactly' what you are looking for but you can try this link:
    Windows XP Professional Resource Kit

Good Luck!

3. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

thanks for the quick reply.

i just want to change this version of windows xp pro from Greek to English.

There should be a free way to do this. I know when you first set up your computer, it asks you which language you want Windows XP to be in. But that means I would have to reformat my computer and I am looking for another alternative. I don't understand greek too well.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would play around with the language settings. Its available under control panel.

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> There should be a free way to do this. I know when you first set up your computer, it asks you which language you want Windows XP to be in. But that means I would have to reformat my computer and I am looking for another alternative. I don't understand greek too well. thisisu <<

Oh, in that case you should contact Microsoft directly. If what you want to do is possible they would likely know how to best do this. The link above will point you in that direction: Contact Microsoft (Phone Numbers, Support Options, and Online Help).

However I must tell you that even if this is possible; (changing the Win XP program 'interface' from Greek to English) it is more than likely the Greek documents and/or any installed Greek applications; especially 3rd party programs and utilities etc; on the computer which you are currently using; will likely not 'magically' become completely translated directly into English.

Many of Microsoft's products work well with various languages. But I believe most of these are set-up for those who are "bilingual" or well versed in more than one language.

Since you stated that you are not well versed in Greek, you might be far better off; in my opinion, to have someone help you to remove whatever Greek documents, programs, utilities there are installed on the computer – in accordance with whatever your company/school's policies are – as well as your own documents; (if they are in there as well); and then reformat the computer to English.

Sure, it's always a pain to have go ahead and reinstall/reformat; but you will likely have far less conflict and hassles IMO. In any case, contacting Microsoft directly about this issue is definitely the way-to-go here and be sure to let us know how this turns out! ;)

Good Luck!

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is your XP version a localised one as in XP Greek over an XP Pro English Volume Licencing ( or Corporate as refered to at times ) + MUI ( Multilingual User Interface) pack which has Greek support installed? whoever admins the PCs will know this.

You can change the text input and edit, keyboard layout, print doc in various languages ( ie...English in your case )on localised versions but the GUI menus, window headings etc will stay Greek, thus if your not fluent in Greek its not going to help much.

You would need an English version of XP Pro and install the MUI pack, which will allow you to change the input languages, keyboard layout etc plus the important GUI menus and dialogs into various languages ( 33 iirc at last count ), the MUI pack is only available to corporate customers through VLK ( Volume Licencing ), MOLP ( MS Open Licence Policy ) or part of an Enterprise licence aggrement and not sold through retail channels or shouldnt be.

Upshot is you will need XP Pro English and a volume licencing account to aquire MUI.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds