XP Boot Failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Feb 19, 2004.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

About every three to five days, when I boot the machine, it fails to load Windows and locks up.

I get the screen that says "Windows XP Home Edition" with the copyright notice and green slider.

It then goes to a blank screen, clicks once, and freezes on the next blank screen. I can tell if it has frozen because there is no mouse cursor. In the normal blank screen, before Windows loads, the mouse cursor is visible.

I have to do a reset to get out of this condition.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

When is the last time you updated your video drivers?

Where do you here this "click" coming from?

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I get automatic updates. The "click" comes from the monitor. I assume that is when it changes to the chosen resolution settings.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Automatic updates, if referring to Windows, never touches your drivers.

Update your video drivers.

A better way to see if your system is frozen is to press numlock and see if the light on your keyboard responds.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Can you boot into safe mode (tapping F8 while you boot up) ?
    You could try last know good configuration

6. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

The problem is that I never know when it is going to happen and when I do a reset it boots normally. It has never repeated itself twice.

I will update the video drivers and see if that takes care of it.

7. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I'll try that next time it does it. Thanks.

8. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

My computer has a problem similar to this. It still does it after many formats and reinstalls. Every once in awhile, when I reboot, I will get to the XP logo screen with the scrolling bar, and then the screen will go black. This is normal for the screen to go black, but it is suposed to only be black for a second. However in my case, the computer will hang on the black screen, forcing a power down and reboot. Usually it will boot up fine after the power down and reboot. However once it did this, and I powered down, and it kept hanging at the black screen. It hung there 4 times after 4 shutdowns and reboots. So I reformatted, got a good RAM defrag program, and I haven't rebooted my comp in over a month. I keep it on all the time. I have nothing in my startup, and I have actually posted this problem on here many times and no solution.

Is the clicking sound you hear your monitor? I have a Sony Trinitron monitor, and it clicks several times when I reboot. Do you have a DELL by any chance?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  9. Vlad the Impaler

My computer has this exact same problem. Finally I found someone else ! See my previous post.. and answer me this: Do you have a DELL? I have a Dell causing me this problem.

This is the only problem my machine has,.. other than this is runs like a beauty.

10. Vlad the Impaler

EDIT

I have noticed one thing. I used to have all 4 of my USB ports filled up with a mouse, DSL modem, and 2 game controllers. I unplugged one of the game controllers and I have NOT had the freeze up at boot SINCE I freed up one USB slot. Anybody know if having all those things plugged in could any way cause this bootup freeze problem?

11. Vlad the Impaler

anybody have an opinion on this quote?

12. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Vlad

I have an HP Pavillion 504n and the only thing I have added since I got it is an HP Deskjet 5550 printer and a cable modem which plugs into the network port.

The screen does as I described, goes black for a couple of seconds, the monitor clicks, and then it blinks to the next black screen and there is no mouse cursor.

In the normal world, the screen does as I described, goes black for a couple of seconds, the monitor clicks, and then it blinks to the next black screen and there is a mouse cursor. It then continues with the normal Windows boot-up.

13. Vlad the Impaler

I feel your pain.. My comp has this same problem.

14. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Haven't seen it personally, but then I've only got 3 USB ports in use, but I've read somewhere else about a similar problem, solved by moving the USB stuff to a powered hub. Possibly the USB devices are using more power than the motherboard can reliably supply?

15. sniper-uk

sniper-uk Private E-2

16. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Downloaded and ran the RAM Tester for 12 hours with no errors.

17. sniper-uk

sniper-uk Private E-2

oh right maybe thats not the problem mate maybe someone else has some suggestions:confused:

18. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

jimpeel
    this is quite a tricky one as it doesnt do this all the time so even testing with safe mode aint going to help

im still leaning to driver issues you havent replied as to wether you tried the newest video drivers yet

19. Vlad the Impaler

On my system it doesn't matter what drivers I have installed, new or old. The problem has occurred. For me, the problem has happened right after a clean install then, it goes away for months and comes back.

20. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I haven't tried the driver reinstall because I wanted to wait until it did it again so I could answer another query by Adrynalyne.

He wanted to know if the lights on the keyboard come on when you push any of the keys that cause a light to come on (NUM LOCK, CAPS LOCK, SCROLL LOCK).

It locked up this morning and none of those keys caused a light to come on.

Onward and upward.

21. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I get the same thing if I OC my mem to high donno if that helps ( but in my case it dosent make it to windows in 3 out of 5 boots)

22. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I think im liking the idea that USB devices are sucking up power... have you tried removing one or two for a week or so and seeing if that solves the problem?

Intermittant problems are the pits, and usually (i said usually) down to hardware in some form.

Ace : i get that too, but i usually get a stop error if im OCing a lil bit too much on boot.

23. dflw.2ya.com

dflw.2ya.com Private E-2

I only just noticed page 2 so i hope....

I hope no 1 has already said this But

i previously had similar problems thing was i didnt have anyy problems with my ram at all BUT I was using
    pc133 ram and pc100 ram at the same time. i tried seting my fsb to 100mhz so it would run both sets of ram at 100mhz but in the end i had to remove the pc100 ram
    (it was the one with the least amount of ram)
    This fixed the problem for a bout a month then it started again.
    I decided to get the new kerio firewall this informed me i was being sent a back door attack called "Teardrop" and that my firewall was now blocking it,
    Great i thought but just to be safe i also downloaded (what is now my fave virus software) Avg antivirus.
    this found a suprizing amount of trojans which could alsop have been the problem, Since then i no longer suffer from thios problem

As for monitor clicking this is fine its just the monitor degaussing.
    and is nothing to worry about
    (some monitors even have the option for you to manualy segauss it to)

i hope this helps and i realy hope no 1 has fully answerd this post already and im wasting my time.

[​IMG]

24. dflw.2ya.com

dflw.2ya.com Private E-2

Yes if the computer freezes none of the buttons work therefor the lights if on will not go off and if the lights are off then they will not come on.

However Dont instantly restart your pc if the lights wont come on or turn off as some times when the pc is loading alot of data They wont work then either

25. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I may have missed this, but have you sifted through event viewer for errors?

26. Vlad the Impaler

Yes. In my case I have checked the event viewer but there is absolutely no new info in the event viewer after the problem occurs. Strange eh?

27. Vlad the Impaler

I hope that's the problem. Like I said, after I unplugged my Microsoft Sidewinder controller from the USB port, the problem has not occurred. However, I hardly ever reboot my machine anymore. But the times I have rebooted so far it has always made it to Windows.

28. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I am only using one USB port and that is for a matching printer (HP5550) from the same mfgr. It is "off" most of the time as i only turn it on when I am going to print something. It is not "on" when the computer boots.

I don't know what overclocking is so I'm likely not doing it.

I have walked away from the computer for up to a half hour only to find when I returned that it had not successfully booted during my absence.

Thanks. I forgot about that. Mine has a manual degauss as well.

I will try that next. Still haven't updated drivers yet.

29. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I checked the Event Viewer. Here are the entries from last night when I turned it off and the first five from this morning when I turned it on.

Turn off:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1517
    Date: 2/16/2004
    Time: 2:02:03 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: JIM_PEEL
    Description:
    Windows saved user JIM_PEEL\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
    This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Turn on:
    First event:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ccEvtMgr
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 2/23/2004
    Time: 7:54:21 AM
    Description:
    Application starting

Second Event:

Event Source: ccEvtMgr
    Event ID: 1
    Time: 7:54:22 AM
    Description:
    Application started

Third Event:

Event Source: (MSN/Windows) Messenger Service
    Event ID: 4
    Time: 7:54:31 AM
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 4 ) in Source ( (MSN/Windows) Messenger Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ꤀଀退漀꤀崀㓣暃¼.

Fourth Event:

Event Source: ccPwdSvc
    Event ID: 1
    Time: 7:54:45 AM
    Description:
    Application started

Fifth Event:

Event Source: ccPwdSvc
    Event ID: 2
    Time: 7:54:46 AM
    Description:
    Application terminated

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  30. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Unit froze up again this morning but I went to HP site and one of the updates states "Fixes an issue that could stop the PC during a Power On Self Test."

Hopefully, this fixes the problem.

We'll see.

31. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

A MAJOR "Oh, s---!"

See thread http://majorgeeks.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28780 for the result of the upgrade described above.

Turn-around time for my unit to be shipped back to the factory for repair ... nine working days.

Looks like I will be using the library's computer until then.

32. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Well, it has been a couple of weeks since I got the computer back and it has not locked up in that time. If it were going to do so it would have done so by now.

Problem solved.

33. Terry Parker

Terry Parker Private E-2

Re: XP Boot Failure - Hang after logo screen

I saw this thread when I was searching for potential solutions to a problem my system had just started having. All of a sudden, it would hang EVERY time with the XP logo screen displaying endlessly. No NUM/CAPS function, though cylon was still going back and forth, oddly enough.

Because of previous problems I had set the system up to always offer the option to boot into XP or Windows Recovery on booting. I could not get into Recovery either.

I booted from XP CD, then tried "Repair" option -- no good, hung after starting. I noticed though, that the drive ID number seemed to change JUST before hanging when it tried to do the "repair". I thought for a minute, turned the machine off, opened it up, and disconnected that IDE drive (I had three and this was not the boot drive). All of a sudden everything is fine. Luckily that drive had no crucial data on it. I suspect that the power supply is right at critical mass. I also wonder if the USB problems others have described are also causing their power supply to live right at the edge.

Anyways, start disconnecting stuff that you don't immediately need, see if that works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds