Windows 7 failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause

Discussion in 'Software' started by preciouskiya, Oct 16, 2014.

1. preciouskiya

preciouskiya Private E-2

I get the error message windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. I power my computer off and pressed F8.
    I clicked on the last known good configuration (advanced). The screen went back to windows failed to start. I have a Dell DXP061.

2. preciouskiya

preciouskiya Private E-2

Re: Windows 7 failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the caus

It's my brother computer. He did not add anything. The power went out during a thunderstorm and this is the message that's been on the computer since

3. preciouskiya

preciouskiya Private E-2

Re: Windows 7 failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the caus

I tried to boot up in safe mode and I ran the repair disk

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Seen that message a few times myself. If either of you feel comfortable inside the box or have a friend who can - try unplugging the power- open the case, normally 2 screws - disconnect the power and data cables to the drive. While there blow out the dust bunnies everywhere. More than once I've had this simple step bring it back. If anybody feels comfortable reset anything that can be unplugged

5. preciouskiya

preciouskiya Private E-2

I unplugged everything that can be unplugged. I still get the same message

6. Imandy Mann

@ f8 do you see a startup repair option to try?

7. preciouskiya

preciouskiya Private E-2

I went to f8 to do the startup repair and that didn't work either. I also ran the repair disk and I received the blue screen. When I turned the computer off the original message was there

8. Imandy Mann

The storm you mentioned might be the culprit. Wondows might be right about a hardware problem. Do you have a fan mounted on the cpu and is it turning? Maybe a fan on back of the power supply? These should always be spinning. If not probably power supply. But there is more power than what turns the fans. I would use a meter you may not have. Just because the power supply is the first thing connected to the power company it would take a hit but some other part could be hit also.Parts can be removed one at a time. It's not working so you can take out the network card then try to start. Next maybe the dvd. If it has front panel memory card or thumbdrive reader it can be unplugged. I believe this computer has a video card but I don't know if it has on board video? Any one have a video card to swap in? You need video and the hard drive. Almost anything else can be removed in a process of elimanation. Just unplug things one at a time and plug back in before trying the next part. If you or someone you know has a multimeter- ?an electrician? you can check the power supply? Sorry we're on different hours it seems.

9. preciouskiya

preciouskiya Private E-2

I followed the steps in this post and I connected everything today. I did not get a electrician to check the current. I still get the same error message: Windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause

10. Imandy Mann

You seem determined to get this thing going. Next I would try to boot from a live drive. You can download a small linux to burn to a thumb drive to see if it can boot that way. If it will then good. It can show parts of the computer while it's loading. If it runs into something major it will quit. But then you'll see where it quit. If it does boot then you probably are looking at a problem with the hard drive and associated pieces or a windows itself problem.

Search for DamnSmallLinux. On a '7' computer I used dsl-4.4.10-embedded.zip
    50mbs download. And burned with freeisoburner - a small download.

Since you can use f8 you should see on the screen a key for boot menu or boot options. esc del f2 or something similiar. Go to that menu and select the drive you made.

11. preciouskiya

preciouskiya Private E-2

I was able to boot up with Fedora. I get the error one or more disk are failing.

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

If this PC was not plugged into a proper surge protector, and I don't mean power strip, the surge which can occur in the instant before the power failure did some damage. Either that, or it's an aging drive which didn't take the hard shutdown very well. By "proper", I mean a Belkin or other surge protector which will guarantee your equipment. One step better is an uninterruptible power supply with filters to clean up the power.

I would not play with that drive any more as you could damage it further, or cause it to fail completely by attempting to boot it. You MAY still be able to clone that drive or retrieve data from it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds