VPN and searching

Discussion in 'Software' started by brandypeppy, Oct 23, 2014.

1. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

First, accessing with my galaxy tab in mex., I cannot search because the keyboard appears for a second, then nothing, no time totype in search terms.
    But what I want to do is watch US programming, preferably through my TIME WARNER account, or any other pay for or free way I can, from here in mexico. I tried my TWC account, but it tells me I have to be in the USA to watch anything and that is crap, because I'm paying them plenty for my TV programming, why can't I watch where I want!?
    From what I find, I think this can be done with a VPN service, again at a cost, no problem, not looking to get something for free, but am leery about getting ripped off, hard to get CC refunds from scamsters! Also, would be concerned with speed, must be good enough for movies and/or TV programs.
    Maybe this is covered in these forums but, like I said, can't search with tablet?
    Hoping there are some members with experience in using a VPN for this purpose! :wave

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I have http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn
    they have a few sites in the USA you can use, they have a free trial.

The other option is to set up an ssh server (next time your home), which I have posted links to several times on the forum.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/68061/setup-ssh-on-your-router-for-secure-web-access-from-anywhere/

When you connect ot your own ssh server, the isp will think you are at home, note I have not tried the TWC TV app over the connection yet, but might try it out eventually.. either way the ISP will think you're in the US.

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Foogoo,
    Thanks! I have seen references to this and I'll certainly try. Be on lookout please for further ?s I might have when I get home in november!

Thanks again!

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Back in the USA! Actually, I enjoyed Mexico very much and I am working on relocating there sometime in the next year.
    Back to my VPN question, I have researched several, including the one posted by FooGoo, (TYVM). And, my router is not on the list for the router tunnel trick so I would need to subscribe to a VPN.
    Before I make the purchase, I am interested in any feedback/recommendations peeps here may have regarding VPN services. Prices I see range from about $6 to $9 per month, not a deal maker or breaker. All I am interested in is reliability, speed, ease of use, (bug free, installs without endless other tweaks, etc.), likelihood of being in business a year from now, great support, preferably phone, that sort of thing. I'm not saying price is no consideration but a difference of a few bucks a month is nothing compared to receiving the desired features and performance.
    I don't care about being anonymous, I just want to be able to watch my TWC subscription, or other US based websites possibly restricted by Mexico or requiring a US based ISP address. Any feedback would be appreciated!! :wave:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds