Fast [inexpensive] removable storage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChuckS, Apr 1, 2005.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS Private E-2

A couple of days ago I started a thread about firewire drive enclosures and to my surprise I didn’t get a single reply. So I’ll try and rephrase my situation.

I am an editor and need a lot of fast [inexpensive] removable storage. I have been looking at multi bay firewire enclosures but there is quite a range in price and difference features and I’m looking for advice on sorting out the differences and purchasing the right enclosure.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Don't know whether this will help. I read, in the last few days, of a USB click drive of 4 gigabytes capacity, for around USD$500. Bazza

===

3. ChuckS

ChuckS Private E-2

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I have about 3TB of disk that I would like to keep about 500+GB online at one time [removable storage].

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I like Bazza was thinking of either USB pen drives or what about DVD?

DVD if you say get a Dual Layer Drive... albiet the Dual Layer blanks are expensive still for 8.5gb of storage but you can still always use the single layer 4.7gb DVDs and these are a really cheap method of backup/storage plus pretty portable too, until thr Dual Layer blank DVDs get a bit cheaper then you already have a Dual Layer burner.

a few questions about what you need it for I hope arnt too rude?

How much space do you need?
    Would you need to add more drives as these fill up?
    Does it have or need to be portable?

5. ChuckS

ChuckS Private E-2

Thanks, a few questions are not rude at all.
    I'm a video editor so the drives supply my source material. Depending on the number and resolution of the streams of video, I need around 30 to 40MB/sec sustained transfer rate. I would like a four disk enclosure, each with a 250GB drive. It would be great if the drives were hot swappable, but not a deal breaker if they aren’t.

Here are some of the questions I posted earlier:

• If I get a four drive [two board Master/slave] vs. a four board [master/master] what is the performance difference?
    • I believe FW800 is an 9 pin and FW400 is six, can you plug a FW800 enclosure into a FW400 firewire card?
    • In a four drive enclosure with two boards do you have 2 firewire cables [1each] running to the computer?
    • Is it possible [easy] to build a rack mounted firewire drive enclosure?
    If anyone has any suggestions on where I can purchase these things would be greatly appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds