Read the threads but cant install catalyst 5.6

Discussion in 'Software' started by baschurch9, Jun 16, 2005.

1. baschurch9

baschurch9 Private E-2

Somebody please help before I lose my last marbles...

I have recently started playing WoW (a great game) but although it plays fine at first it tends to crash after about ten minutes which is normally just when its getting good. The "crashes" consist of a ?fan?drive whirring on and off for about 30secs to 1min and then my laptop powers off. The graphics in the game appear fine albeit very occaisionally jerky. I have been working thru the blizzard advice to fix this and came to installing the latest driver for my video card.

I currently have:

Amilo D 7820 notebook (Fujitsu Siemens)
    Intel Pentium CPU 4 5.23GHz
    PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
    510MB RAM
    156MB used 1091 MB available
    DirectX 9.0c
    WindowsXP HE SP 2 fully updated

Display device:

Mobility Radeon 9000
    chip type M9 (LF)
    internalDAC(350MHz)
    T. Memory 64MB
    Main driver ati2dvag.dll version 6.13.0010.6143(English)

I went to the ATI pages and felt that catalyst 5.6 was a suitable driver for my video card. I read all their pages etc followed their instructions to use the ATI uninstaller, manually deleted any remaining ATI files and removed them from the registry. Downloaded catalst 5.6 suite as instructed. But when I tried to install it I got past the licence agreement and initial ATI install wizard and through one process bar and the ATI background graphics but then got a message headed "SEVERE" "INF error videodriver not found" follwed by another box saying "Set up was unable to complete installation. Try to set up your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running set up"
    When I check my display adapter it is listed as VGAsave with no other info.
    If I go to device manager to change my video driver I have no other options to choose from. None of my original boot disks have any other drivers on except Radeon 9000.
    I tried ATI instructions several times with all my antivirus/firewall/antispyware off and all back ground programs off. Tried in selective start up. Tried in VGA enabled mode and safe mode. Emailed ATI who sent me a more detailed link of how to install catalyst and went thru it step by step with no joy. Tried the ATI uninstaller utility and tried DriveCleanerPro and CCcleaner before trying to install catalyst but all with no joy.

Reading thru various sites people seem either to install with no probs or be as stuck as me.

So

1) Is Catalyst 5.6 a suitable driver for my video card?
    2) How can I install it?

I also want to update my motherboard chip drivers but have no idea how to identify what update to use and feel very unsure about tinkering inside my computer to find out. I think from using a free downloaded program "AIDA32" that my motherboard chipset is SiS 645DX.

3) Can anyone explain how to find out what my mother board chip is and how to update its driver?

4)Finally does anyone have a view on wether it is my video/motherboard causing my crashes in WoW?

Some sites suggest overheating but others disagree and I can play other games for hours with no problems and external attempts to keep my computer cooler make no difference. I have run extensive antivirus/antispyware scans etc with nothing detected and my firewals are configured for WoW.

Any help would be great.

Please remember i'm a beginer! If more info needed let me know.

Many Thanks

baschurch9

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You will find that the ATi driver for mobility need to be downloaded from the manufacturer of your Laptop as ATi do not supply them on their website ( the do in limited form for a few manufacturers listed here )... the general Catalyst drivers for download are for desktops.

If you put your laptop model and version number in this page it will take you to downloads for that laptop including ATi Drivers http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/downloads_1.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds