CCleaner 2.0 RC

Discussion in 'Software' started by BirdBath, Sep 2, 2007.

1. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Has anyone tried it out?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

yep, seems ok so far... but not used it for long.

Has some nice additions as in folders to include and exclude from cleaning, slicker interface and seems to work better with Vista.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I just did.
    Installed fine. Kept all my settings.
    No new features I can see, though the GUI is nice.

Checked the change log, and I do notice less flickering when running the registry cleaner.

Nice to have one build, and have the option to exclude the toolbars on install.

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Re: CCleaner 2.0 RC <<

I'm still using CCleaner 1.41.544 (the last final release)

CCleaner's creator and support is very reliable but to tell you the truth I'd rather wait for the "Final Release" when dealing with potentially damaging software, especially the registry cleaner types.

I used to try out many, many BETA as well as Release Candidates (RC) in the past, but nowadays I only test them out them once in a blue moon; mostly due to time constraints.

I still occasionally test a few BETAs and RC's once in while but only if I really want to try out or get used to the NEW features or if it is a brand new program that has a good reputation and support. I hardly ever test anything if no support is provided. I used to do that back in the "bad 'ole days" but I don't have time for monthly reformats anymore when the Betas go Bonkers on me! <g>

Good Luck

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What? I believe it's always provided the option to un-select the toolbar. Yes? No?

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I've been using CCleaner 2.00.491 Beta, for a while now.

I've downloaded CCleaner 2.00.495 RC Beta, but not yet installed it.

No probs with "491", that I have noticed. Bazza

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I've always known CCleaner to come in several builds.
    1. (Full) With the toolbar and full language support
    2. (Basic) W/O toolbar, full language support
    3. (Slim) W/O toolbar, english only

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Right, I'm aware of the different builds. My point was that your comment seemed to imply that the option to exclude the toolbars on install was something new in this latest version. But, that option has been available in previous versions.

Did I mis-understand what you intended to say?

9. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

I have noticed some stalling and stuttering in all builds on the reg. cleaner. I'm glad they adresed that.

10. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

This was what I thought. They are making the builds more Vista compatible. I still run XP. But I am interested in the new UI.

I'm gonna check it out.

Thank you everyone.

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh. You may be right. The last build with the toolbars I tried didn't have this option, but there have been several since then.

12. mariam

mariam Private E-2

Hi, all...I'm new, just joined the forums yesterday. Downloaded CCleaner 2.00.495 yesterday in hopes of either getting rid of, or preventing, Jet.tmp and "jusched" files from getting onto my computer and slowing down Norton One-Button Checkup and Norton Express Cleanup (since those files will not delete; they're "in use"). I only used the Cleaner function since I am not clever enough to try the others yet, so it didn't delete or prevent the temp files I was concerned about (although I gather they're harmless), but I was delighted to see it remove a whole meg of temp files I didn't even know I had!

So, a big thank you! It did include the option while installing to leave out the toolbar, which I was happy to leave out :cool and I will be enjoying learning to get the best that this fine programme has to offer!

Best wishes to all,

Mariam

13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I just ran my old version 141.544 and then the new beta it found 1mb files more than the old and no registry faults.
    [​IMG]

14. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

How often should ccleaner be run? Old or new.

15. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

once a week should be enough or if you suspect there is a problem.:wave

16. mariam

mariam Private E-2

Wahey! I just let it fix all my registry errors (backed up first, of course) and it fixed them all (87 errors) in about a second! :celebrate

No ill effects!

(But I still get the JETx.tmp files on the last run of Norton One-Button....)

Best wishes,

Mariam

17. McGhee

McGhee Private E-2

I don't see that this is an option, but does anyone know if you are able to add your back up drives? I have two hard drives and one external drive I use for backups and want to check those. A trojan (Hupigon2) made its way onto my back up drive and AVG caught it and quarantined it and I deleted them. Now I want to make sure it is all off my drives.

18. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

So far so good :)

19. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I believe the answer is definitely no. And, if you look carefully at the options in CCleaner, the reason why becomes clear. It's simply not drive-focused; it's Windows-focused and Applications-focused, as you can see by the types of scans available. And then, the Issues scan pertains to the registry. And finally, the Tools part of it contains no option to scan specific drives.

20. Tweak-Hunter

Tweak-Hunter Private E-2

Hmmm... I've been using it for a while and it seems just as effective as it's predecessors accept its a little slower. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds