Control Panel prob: rundll32.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by csuf_allison, Nov 15, 2007.

1. csuf_allison

csuf_allison Private E-2

Hello everyone! I hope you can help!

I seem to be having a MAJOR (well, to me it's major) control panel issue. Anytime I open my control panel and try to access Add/Remove Programs, User Accounts, or my Security center, I receive this message:

Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe

This is driving me crazy because I need to remove some programs that try to start up everytime I restart my computer that I neither want, nor do I have the discs for, plus I need to get rid of someone of the programs anyway. By the way, I have WindowsXP just in case anyone was wondering.

Please, please, PLEASE help me get full access to my Control Panel!

Thank you in advance!

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. csuf_allison

csuf_allison Private E-2

Thank you so much, NICK ADSL UK for your quick response!

I went to the site you recommended and followed the instructions (go to run and type in "sfc/scannow") but unfortunately, it couldn't find that file. I read all the "complaints" and I couldn't find one that matched my problem. :( I was going to put in the XP CD but I realized that I have all the discs for XP Student/Teacher edition but none for XP Home Edition which is what my computer is using (we got this computer from my boyfriends sister). Is that going to be a problem?

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi csuf_allison :)
    It may well cause a problem as you should be using the disk that came with the computer all you can do is give it a try. Let me know how it goes. One further thing to do is to go to the start menu / search and type in rundll32.exe" and let me know if your computer has a copy and where it is. Exclude the prefetch folder your looking for rundll32.exe" in the windows system 32 folder as that is where it should be and until it is your control panel along with other things will not function correctly. One further thing when searching is to tick the box to search hidden files and folders. If when you have done the above and you still have the problum refur back to the link above and try to resrore the rundll32.exe" from the C:WINDOWS\System32\Dllcache (assuming C: is your system root which it probably is.)

NB - The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you! To view it go to: My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > "uncheck" Hide protected operating system files

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds