Microsoft Security Essentials?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oldphil, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

What are the general thoughts on Microsoft Security Essentials! I am thinking of giving it a try.

Phil

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day Oldphil

i have been using msse for a few weeks now with no major drama's, still not 100% confident with it yet but time will tell.i am running it on an xpsp3 os with 740 meg of ram and comodo firewall.every thing seem to run smoothly.i do have back up virus scanners and they haven't picked anything up yet.

3. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

I agree with everyone here. I have been using it on 5 computers in my house (3 of them the kids are able to use) and not one virus (knock on wood).

4. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Thanks I do appreciate the input, I have been running KAV 2009 which has been just fine. But it is hard to pass on the MS offering!

Phil

5. skolor

skolor Private E-2

From the people I have talked to who use it, the biggest draw has been its low resource consumption. A lot of commercial products will really suck up your computers resources.

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

I just installed it on this machine and have the other two going through the process, this one and the LT breezed through the old Dell is chugging along!

Thanks again!

Phil

7. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Hi quick question MSE does not seem to update automatically did I miss something, I have had to do the manual thing on all three of my machines have gone through the setting and do not see anything. I don't really mind but just one more thing to remember.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It updates via Windows Update.

9. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Thanks Adrynalyne I am used to KAV doing sometimes multiple updates in one day, MSE I will watch to see its frequency so far I have been doing manual.

Noticed a new glitch when I go to close MSE the GUI stays on top of an opened page, I have to minimize the window behind it for it to go away. How ever if I open it on the desk top it closes down just fine, a pretty minor annoyance!

Phil

10. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

I've just been checking this out today, and i almost hate to say it, but it is very good, i can't really find a bad word to say about it.

(and as im sure a few of you know, im not the biggest fan of MS own stuff, but this deffo gets two thumbs up from me)

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Can't say I have experienced that glitch.

Pretty sure MSE is a one time a day thing.

I understand the frequent updates. I got them every few minutes all day long with my last av.

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I quite like it and running a version of it on 2 laptops of mine, small light and fairly quick scanning, although speed of scanning doesnt equate to accuracy so I wouldnt care if it was slow but found malware items.

Update wise, it should update as Adryn mentions via Windows udpate, however if you have auto updates off, it may not. Best way to check the virus def files is to look at the version you have in the app (click the little triangle next to Help and then About MSE) and match it up with the manual download HERE

also info on the update procedures here from Stephen Boots MVP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds