Can't use printer w/ wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by childsuccess, Jun 26, 2007.

1. childsuccess

childsuccess Private E-2

Hi, new to the forum and not much of a techie. We had to do a hard system recovery on our laptop. After getting it up and running, we can't seem to get the printer which is connected to our desktop to run from the laptop. Both run XP. The router is the Linksys WRT54gs v.5. The laptop has the driver for our HPlaser 4l. Both computers have the same name for the printer and the enable printer and file sharing is enabled on both. When I try to print, I get a "failed to print" error message. I can get online from the laptop.

Any suggestions
    Thanks
    Larry

2. Capt quirk

Capt quirk Private First Class

Try reinstalling the printer on the laptop. I have the same set up, and it took a little effort to get it going. Of course, I couldn't resist sending odd messages to my wife's printer, all the while pretending to not have a clue.

3. childsuccess

childsuccess Private E-2

"Try reinstalling the printer on the laptop. I have the same set up, and it took a little effort to get it going"
    Thanks Cap't Quirk - however we did that and still can't get the laptop to access the printer. Any other thoughts from you or anyone out there.
    Thanks again
    Larry

4. Capt quirk

Can you access the desktop?

5. childsuccess

childsuccess Private E-2

No, can only get online but cannot access anything on the desktop
    Larry

6. Capt quirk

Then it seems to me that you don't have the network connected right. It is one of those things I have to fight with for a few hours. However, since both machines have XP, it should be a simple matter to set up your work group and sharing priveleges. Can you use the wizard to set up your network? If not, you'll definately need a more savvy person than myself.

7. childsuccess

childsuccess Private E-2

Thanks Capt. We have done every darn network set up wizard, etc and can't seem to get it going. Maybe someone else out there has some ideas.
    Larry

8. Capt quirk

Now you can see why I spend hours when the network goes south. Good luck to you though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds