"Need to Find Drivers" sticky post warning!

Discussion in 'Software' started by gman863, Apr 12, 2012.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Yesterday, I attempted to find an old 3Com driver using Kodo's "Need to Find Drivers" sticky at the top of the forum threads.

This list has not been updated in around 10 years. Some of the sites come up "404" (not found).

The site "driverguide.com" appears to be infected with malware: When attempting a driver download, it attempts to add the Babylon toolbar, a known malware threat. Even after clicking "decline" and exiting the page with "Alt + F4", Malware Bytes found and cleaned an infection left in IE browsing history.

Since Kodo has not posted in over a year, I'm posting this in hopes the MG Admins will remove the dangerous link and update the others.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Thanks and done on removing the thread on drivers, to be honest drivers are a PITA at times and a default all in one guide really doesn't work at times as it depends on if a PC is OEM or Custom to getting right drivers.

I would always advise going to OEM if a PC from HP, Dell, Acer etc or if a custom build go to the makers site as in Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS etc

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds