Help with reinstalling windows xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparrowhawk, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Private E-2

hey imn new to forums but thats not the POINT

the point is that i cant reinstall my windows xp. dont know y

ALSO my comp was a ME and was upgraded to xp

i have both discs

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Boot from your XP cdrom, choose the drive, choose format, it will warn you an operating system is installed, ignore , then follow the prompts. Upgrading from one operating system to another is usually not a great idea for future reference.

Read this for more:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25831

3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Private E-2

already done

im not that bad with comps

NEXT

4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Private E-2

and o yea i dont c the bios screen so how do i get into the bios any other way

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

No need to be rude about it.. we don't have ESP and can't possibly know your level of computer skills.

BIOS entry is typically the delete key during post.

6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Private E-2

sry was just very annoyed

and the problem is that i cant get into the bios when restarting the comp cos the comp doesnt show it

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Yes, it was in the tutorial you linked to and so quickly brushed off :)

You also failed to completely explain any steps taken as well as computer specs. I wrote that line in there because some computers use various keys to access the bios. Best guess is f10, f11 maybe f2. If you look, usually in the lower part of the screen during boot, sometimes you will see a message that says "press xx to access setup" or similar. You can hit pause to read it when you see it or just reboot until you find it.

8. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

(...)
    Considering your responce to MA I'd suggest that it *is* the point. -I'm way beyond certain that he could have easily fixed your problem -but your reply to his innitial suggestion might turn him off -it'd certainly turn me off.
    We all look for help now and then but a dismissive 'NEXT' to someones reply (that made perfect sense considering how little info you provided) is *not* the way to get people to want to take their time to help you.

9. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

Hear hear, fiver22, well spoken.

Make sure (when you discover the correct key to press on startup to enter setup) that you keep the key pressed until you get to BIOS.

Choose advance Setup and arrow down to 1st Boot Device, then use your page up and down keys to locate the entry for CDROM, hit escape and PF10 (usually) to save and exit and choose Yes.

It should then boot from the XP install CD and away you go. If I am not mistaken, and I might be, can't you boot up on the old ME and do an upgrade from there with the XP install which writes over the old OS but keeps all your good stuff?

Bo

10. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

Actually, rereading the original I see he is trying to reinstall XP. I know for sure that you do not need to boot with that install disc, just boot up on the old XP system (if you still can) and insert the CD and do a fresh install or a repair. You did not mention whether your old XP OS is bootable?

BO... :p

11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Private E-2

*in a calm relaxed voice*

i have tryed that beforte and it said that i couldnt install xp when i have a more advanced version on my machine (sp 2)

12. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

Personally, considering your attitude and sarcasm "*in a calm relaxed voice*" I am suprised anyone would continue to try and help you. I will offer, however, one last suggestion, since entering BIOS setup on your PC seems to be such a challenge.

Try uninstalling SP2 from your machine and try to reinstall XP again. It may recognize it then as not an advanced version. Worth a try.

Bo

13. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

While I'm sympathetic to your problem, and your attitude, perhaps others aren't.You have just dissed one of the owners of the site who was trying to help you with the problem that you described, along with a very long time poster, and knowledgeable member. "Not the way to do things here " if you really want help. If you really are that knowledgeable about computers, why the post and the question?

14. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

I think sparrowhawk got bit by a snake?

If you are still out there, let us know if you resolved your problem and how. I would be curious to know if removing SP2 and reinstalling after bootup worked or if you even tried that or if you were finally able to get into bios and name the cdrom as boot device or if you just threw your PC in the trashcan and bought a new one??

Bo :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds