Supernova?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pflugerjohn, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Pflugerjohn

Pflugerjohn Private First Class

Apparently, there's a chance we're going to get to see one, maybe soon.

space.com

And while we're on the subject, there's also the chance you'll be able to see a comet over the next few days...

Same website

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well I've been lucky enough to see Halley, Hale-Bopp and Hyatake but another bright comet would be good.

And as for a nice bright supernova that would be a first for me so I'm hoping! :)

3. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Not just a chance, more like a likelihood. Swift will have awesome images of it when it occurs, keep an eye for them on the Goddard Space Flight website. This is an extremely rare event, those that are interested in this type of stuff are in for a real treat. :)

4. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Have they figured out precursors for a nova accurately to predict it? Very cool.

Unless they start seeing those precursors on Sol. :eek: :D

5. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yep, I'll be looking forward to that. :)

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

LOL No need to wait
    Here's a SuperNova

Attached Files:

7. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

WOW nice car.....is it your ???

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I can take a supernova but this one is close, some 450M light years away. Luckily our good ol' Sol should only become a red giant giving us plenty of time to vacate the premises. :p

9. lb4norleans

lb4norleans Who 'dat

Is that a Thunderbird in the background...:confused:

Sure looks like one, either that or a Mercury Cougar...:eek:

10. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Yea the sun swelling up to about the orbit of venus is a good sigh we should be leaving :D...

11. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

I cant remember the exact year, but around 97 i got to see the space shuttle chasing Mir in preperation for docking. Although it just looked like a couple of satelites it was sure cool! anyone remember that?
    Interesting post :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds