firewall will not start

Discussion in 'Software' started by marjirad, Feb 16, 2005.

1. marjirad

marjirad Private E-2

When I power on my computer, I get a message that says your computer might be at risk. I click on it and it opens up Security Center. It then tells me Firewall is “OFF”. I then click on “recommendations” and get a box that says “Turn on Windows Firewall for all network connections, with a button that says “Enable now”. I do so and then get:

We’re sorry. The Security Center could not turn on Windows Firewall. To try turning on the firewall yourself, go to Windows Firewall in Control Panel. In the Windows Firewall dialog General tab, select On (recommended), and then click OK.

So when I try that I get: Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?

So I click yes, and it says starting the Windows Firewall…..service, then it says Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall……service.

So then I go to Start, Run, services.msc and click OK. Then scroll down to Windows Firewall……service, and click on start the service.

It says Windows is attempting to start the following service on local computer, and then says: Could not start the Windows Firewall…..service on local computer. Error 10047: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.

Can anybody help me out please?

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

marjirad,

Go to the command prompt and then type the command Netsh winsock reset. Press Enter. Wait for it to finish and reboot.

Try your firewall now.

Steve

3. marjirad

marjirad Private E-2

Thank you very much, I tried it and it worked! I've been searching microsofts web site for an answer to no avail. Thanks again.
    marjirad@sbcglobal.net

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Glad we could help. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds