Secondary email act password

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I use Mozilla T'bird for my email accounts, primary and secondary.
    I have had chronic problems with pw rejection. I posted on here about this a few times. I started getting on again off again rejection of my pw.
    MY ISP AT&T techs have finally decided that the problem is with Mozilla's T'bird. T'bird's sys is rejecting the pw on my secondary account only, which is the same as on my primary account.
    I got a phone number which I am not sure is Mozilla's but Ill chase that down tomorrow.
    In the interim all tech support for T'bird seems to be a community forum and a FAQ section. Used that previously. Obviously not much help.
    Anyone with other suggestions for troubleshooting?
    Thanks

Sarge :***:banghead:hammer:mad

2. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

Now both accounts are rejecting PW!!!:***:***:***:***

Sarge

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Thunderbird does what every other email client does; it receives the (typed or stored) password, then sends it to the mail server for checking. The mail server responds that it either accepts or rejects the password. T'bird will give that response back to you.

I haven't used TB for several years (not because of any problems, but circumstances changed), so I don't know exactly what TB tells you when a password is rejected by the server. Do you get an error code that tells you more about why the password was rejected?

There is of course also the chance that TB was unable to connect to the mail server.

4. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

It comes up first with enter password
    I enter pw, it comes up "Mail server pop.att.yahoo.com responded Incorrect username or password."

If I read that correctly Yahoo is rejecting the pw?

Sarge

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

That is correct.

Are you entering that password in a browser (webmail), or in an external email client?

P.S. make sure that 'Caps Lock' is not accidentally set on your keyboard.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I use TBird as my primary email client with multiple accounts. Never once experienced your problem so it is either a typing problem or an AT&T/Yahoo problem. Might be worth checking you are on the latest TBird version though.

7. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Thanks pwillener and Earthling

I use an external mail client to sign on
    Problem is not using caps lock, I would have already realized that.
    I need to research earlier postings. I think this is still tied to an earlier problem when I would get an error message with a code. It had something to do with Yahoo if I remember.

Sarge

8. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

In what is fast becoming an exercising in futility...
    I spent quite some time last evening and again today trying to solve this problem.
    Have learned Mozilla and Yahoo have dismal customer centers. Took a while to find customer support on Yahoo, only to learn it is mostly prepackaged FAQ.
    One suggestion is to try and access different aspects of Yahoo using a different computer or Browser. I would need to borrow another computer.
    Switched to IEx to access a Yahoo site, which prompted a non recognition of my pw and username. Used Firefox and successfully logged into another Yahoo site.
    I saw an ad for the Browser Safari, now with a Beta version for MS Win.
    Any problem anyone would know of with downloading it so I can try to log onto Yahoo through it?
    Thanks,
    Sarge:confused:mad

9. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Disregard question, I forgot about Google Chrome, will use it to check Yahoo.
    Sarge

10. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

FLASH...Interrupting this program with an important announcement.
    Queried Mozilla T'bird, never got a response.
    Tried Yahoo, chased all over their sites for help. They have no direct support, utilize FAQ's. Toll free phone disconnected. FAQ's did not answer problem. They offer a "contact Yahoo" option. That recycles FAQ page up again. Found a leave-problem-message,-we'll-get-back text section. Not sure what their time frame for getting back is.
    Three hours yesterday, including on phone TS with AT&T UVerse tech's, and about two today, finally got tech to understand my problem. Not sure if problem was beyond scope of yesterday's tech, or my command of English was.
    Once communication glitch was overcome, AT&T had the problem fixed within 30 minutes. (Not holding my breath it is fixed fixed, or a temporary patch. They even offered to help with any other computer matters I might have. Opted not to take advantage of that offer.
    I might add I pay a fee for this service. Hate to think what it would have entailed or cost otherwise.

:tired Sarge

11. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

FLASH 2...:crap:hammer:banghead:rasberry:***:mad:confused

Would you believe....?
    It is rejecting the password again.
    This is about the 4th or 5th time it has been "fixed" only to reoccur
    I am considering letting my 6-year old grandson fix it. He can't do any worse.
    Any geeks want a job? AT&T's don't seem to know what the ***** they
    are doing

Sarge

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds