workgroup switch vs. plain switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davep1553, Feb 9, 2007.

1. davep1553

davep1553 Private E-2

What is the difference between a workgroup switch and just a simple switch?

I'd assumed it was just a naming thing but then I saw a 5-port switch and 5-port workgroup switch from the same company so...

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

A switch is pretty much the same as anyother switch, now perhaps one was labeled a hub? A hub is a "dumb" device that sends any packets that come in to all ports on the device, where a switch "smart" device will route it to the proper ethernet port. But also by workgroup they may mean the device is designed to be stacked with other similar devices, ie have some sort of groove or special stacking method.

3. davep1553

davep1553 Private E-2

I did know about hubs vs switch, but the bit about being stackable makes sense though.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Some Brands has ti tendency to use terms promoted by Marketing people rather then using strict technological term.

As concern entry level their is to kind of Switches. Regular "Dumb: switches that you connect the network device too and there is nothing to set or use on the switch itself.

Alternatively, managed switches that can be accesses and set to intervene with Network's Traffic.

Therefore, read the data sheet of the switch and decide whether it is regular switch or managed switch.

One hint. Managed switches cost few times more than regular switches.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds