Program compatibility/config problems with uninstall problems too

Discussion in 'Software' started by RK233, Mar 27, 2007.

1. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

I have a Windows XP Pro that I have been running with Zone Alarm Pro Internet Security Suite 2007. I ran a program last week from a site to check my ZA pro e-mail defenses at gfi.com. Since then my ZA was not working well- configs were altered, & it could not update with Windows Update service etc.

I tried running many anti-virus/spyware programs thinking it might be a malware problem. I have Spybot SD, Adaware among other programs. Besides the standard Panda, Bitdefender, Trendmicro , and Kaspersky scans among others I tried running some root kit programs to rule that out as a problem. I ran Rootkit Revealer(Syinternals), SOPHOS anti-root kit, and Blacklight but found nothing adverse.

Several weeks before I had installed the Super Anti-Spyware program (free) on my machine but it could not seem to get uninstalled despite running their installer and using Add/remove. My SpyBot alsways showed it in the Startup list despite me deleting it.

I added at least 3 other programs since then for protection. Sandboxie, SpySweeper (which would not install) and Anti-Hook 3.0 (another rootkit revealer hoping that it would tell something if there was a problem.)

My ZA-pro was somehow uninstalled. I installed the free ZA for protection.

I later uninstalled the ZA free and was unable to re-install it. I was getting errors that my Administrator privileges were denied (also when trying to install Spysweeper).

I just went through steps in the malware forum and tried removing some software that may have been unnecessary and causing problems. I removed Anti-Hook, Sandboxie, JAVA 1.5.0, Spysweeper by any means possible including the uninstaller, Add/remove programs, use of SpyBot uninstaller, use of CCleaner uninstaller, deletion of folders still remaining for these programs, and deletion of keys referencing them in the registry.

Somehow my long list of programs that were previously listed in the SpyBot uninstall list were removed.

I was able to get a backed up registry from 3/18/07 and I merged it into the current registry. The missing items that i would have seen in the SpyBot uninstall section were re-populated (hopefully most if not all!)

I then redeleted Sandboxie, JAVA 1.5.0, Super Anti-Spyware, Zone Alarm Suite, etc. from locations found in file folders and the registry. The HHINQBTHW (from AntiHook) and Sandboxie still are in the "Services" list even though they are not functional.

I was able to do a search in the registry and delete most items but some "remnants" still remain and are "undeletable".

My startup list seems to be back to normal. I re-ran HJT and re-fixed everything as appropriate.

I cannot yet re-install the Zone Alarm-free. Also, I need to find out how to completely get rid of the "remnants" of those above programs.

I appreciate any guidance.

Also, I seem to now be having a very fragile internet cable connection. It seems to be corrected by running LSPfix or restarting my machine.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Seems to me it would be quicker and more certain to back up your data and re-install Windows and your programs.
    Have you got DEP enabled either in Windows or hardware, that would account for your problems.
    Look at your boot.ini file
    If it contains the phrase noexecute=something,

Post the setting

Studio T

3. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

I have a WD External drive with the backup program that was just installed along with a new hard drive after a previous one crashed this past January.

I did an initial FULL backup then incremental backups weekly since then. I will do another incremental backup then a FULL backup. I agree..it may be best to just re-install my OS.

Some professionals re-installed my Win XP Pro initially and supposedly put the new Win XP CD with updates etc. on my external drive. How do I re-install from this? I want to make sure that all WIN updates are put on properly.

My DEP settings is set to TURN ON DEP FOR ESSENTIAL WINDOWS PROGRAMS AND SERVICES ONLY. I changed this too TURN ON DEP FOR ALL PROGRAM AND SERVICES.

4. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

Boot.ini states only ….fastdetect/NoExecute=OptOut

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

there are actually four possible setting for DEP. You only have access to two of them from within Windows, as you have seen.
    In the boot.ini file you have

noexecute = optin Windows only
    noexecute = optout Windows plus all programs except selected
    noexecute = alwayson Windows and all programs, no exceptions
    noexecute = alwaysoff Disabled

I was going to suggest disabling DEP until you have the problem sorted.

Depends on the format the files are stored on your external drive. If you can set the pc to boot from it (it is USB?) and the right files are there you may be able to do it that way. But they may have copied an image file or the Windows CD meaning for you to make your own CD. You will really have to ask them. If at all possible I would copy it to Cd as soon as possible in cas eof accidents.

Studio T

6. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

I am now having other problems:

1) My WD external drive apparently is not recognized by the system now so my backups were saved in the MY Documents folder.(They saved it as FAT32 rather than NTFS)

2) I cannot print to my HP Officejet printer

The device mangers seem okay.

I need to somehow get the system to re-recognize my WD so the backup is sent there.

I have a weak and sporadic connection with my internet cable now. Connections last about 5 minutes then I need to reboot.

I need to re-install this soon!!

7. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

After playing around with the System state restore, Backup state restore, and then finally EasyCleaner I was able to get the WD external drive connected again.

I made immediate FULL backups (transferred my C: backup to the F: drive.

My printer seems to work okay now too.

Now, I need to figure out how to re-install windows ...if the WIN XP CD was saved on my WD drive.

How should I go about re-installing?

My internet connectin is still short lived.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Remember installing an operating system is not just a question of copying files you hav eto be able to boot from the media they are on.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds