ASRock AOD790GX mb how to flash bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcrampage, Apr 10, 2009.

1. pcrampage

pcrampage Private First Class

hello all i know nothing at all about how to flash any motherboard. Though that was a good note to start on. I need to flash my new asrock board model AOD790GX.i need detailed moron pouf instructions.i found the correct update. and i would really like to do it from a cd rom as i have no 3.5 floppy. and i am not totally clueless ..its just....I would just like to take comfort in knowing i am doing it all correctly during this dark time.bios flashing is dangerous work i know that much.thanks in advance this site has always been a major help. windows xp home sp3 phenom II 710....there are problems the current bios will not let me change any setting...Whenever i try i am black screened and am forced to clear cmos, Reviews on newegg said this board won't fully support my cpu until a bios flash is done. In any case i have a number of small problems including the inability to change any bios settings...so i would say those reviewers probably have something there. thanks guys i know you hate answering stupid newbie posts.

2. pcrampage

anyone out there? i need to figure out weather its just the bios or a board defect

3. pcrampage

noone knows how to flash the bios on this board ?

4. pcrampage

come on guys have some mercy. i have the ami tools but what little instruction it has assumes the user already has a comfortable understanding of the process.

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi PC,

Since you are getting no help here's my two cents. I have only flashed a BIOS one time and only because the new BIOS had features that the old one did not and that I needed. That was done useing a Floppy and was no trouble at all. The only thing I can advise is do it only if absolutely necessary. If you still want to try most any CD or DVD burner software can make a bootable CD or DVD. You are very likely to need to boot to DOS. I've done that too. Just follow the directions in the burner.

Good Luck, Jim

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

»Updating BIOS Procedures

1. Create a bootable system floppy disk.
    2. Download an updated ASRock BIOS file (WinZip format with .zip file extension) from the web site, unzip the BIOS file and save both AFUDOS.EXE utility and BIOS file to the disk you created in step 1.
    3. Boot from the disk you created in step 2.
    4. At the "A:\" prompt, type AFUDOS, hit space bar once, and type BIOS file name then press <Enter>. For example: A:\AFUDOS ANF7R301 <Enter> then you will see a message "Please wait for BIOS loading ROM".
    5. After 30 seconds, you will see the message "Program ended normally", then you have finished upgrading the BIOS.
    6. After finishing upgrading the BIOS, please remove the floppy disk. Restart your system and press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up.
    7. In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press <Enter> to continue.
    8. Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press <Enter> to exit the BIOS setup utility.
    9. Now, system is booting up with new BIOS.

»Notice
    If you encounter problems while updating the new BIOS, DO NOT turn off your system since this corrupt BIOS might cause your system failed to boot up. Just repeat the process, and if the problem still persists, update the original BIOS file. If the Flash Memory Writer utility was not able to successfully update a complete BIOS file, your system may not be able to boot up. If this happens, your system will need service.

follow the instructions like the above, but instead of creating a bootable floppy, create a bootable cd. Just use your favorite cd burning program and create a bootable cd. Make sure you copy the updated bios file, like in the instructions. then boot from the cd (you may have to get into the bios to change the boot order) . For the command in step 4, change the A:\ to whatever your drive letter is for the cd/dvd rom (probably D if you have a hard drive installed.

Since you cant change any settings in the bios, and if you have problems getting it to boot from the cd, either look for a prompt ( usually one of the F keys) to choose what to boot from. Or disconnect any drives other than the cd/dvd drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds