Problem after recovering a blue screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by kinallen31, Jul 4, 2010.

1. kinallen31

kinallen31 Private E-2

loaded up the computer yesterday morning got a blue screen of death, after some playing around my mate on his laptop + me on the phone to him i manged to fix the problem by using the xp recovery console and manualy copying a file across, (the orginal problem was a system32/config/software)

However the problem now is that when xp loads now, its as if brand new users were logging in, with only progams that were shared between all users being useable, the rest i can find on the harddrive but cant get them to work for some reason, obviously the net works and the download manager with firefox allows downloads, but if the progam wants to access the net it says im not connected to it >.< i cant even do a system restore as it cant see any before i fixed the problem, case in point would be i can load steam it has the games i had previously DL there but when i go to launch say mass effect its telling me that directx is not installed, i cant redownload it from Microsfot due to the fact that when i DL the installer it cant detect the internet contection even though i DL the installer from it >.<

am tempted to try and backup anything important onto a 500gig portable Hdrive i have and reformat, but its the thought of haveing to redownload all the windows service packs again thats putting me of,

any suggestions as to work round this or fix it ?

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is a bit of a problem with a repair- you often need to re-instal some programs for them to work properly- sometimes you get away with it - WINDOW'S IS REPAIRED, AND THERE IS A WARNING OF THE KIND I JUST QUOTED THAT SOME PROGRAMS MAY NOT WORK PROPERLY.....

3. kinallen31

kinallen31 Private E-2

thought that might be the case, in that what i might do is copy anything i want and then format c the comp and start over,

is there anyway to copy sp2 + 3 onto say a 500g harddrive for afterwards, all i have is the xp restore disk i got with the comp 6 years ago :p last time i did a format c took me a couple of days of disk swaping and finding drivers on them to get the thing to a point were i could start useing it proper

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I will try to find some microsoft links for the sp2, sp3 updates- and come back

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. kinallen31

kinallen31 Private E-2

thks but with the way the sytem is while i can dl the installer threw firefox, when the installer itslef trys to connect to the net it says there is no connection up, which is wierd, its like the profiles that are running now are running threw another profile,

i dont have access to say bt homehub manager but the net is still there, take mass effect(game) this user had never previously played it before yet if i go into my documents and settings i see my user profile from before(save games etc) i was able to copy this before, so all the programs are still there just not accesabily in some ways,

my 1st thoughts were the system was booting in safe mode but i checked that and its not,

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Has your computer shown a warning triangle on the internet connection icon?
    If so, it probably needs an internet addres- like 192.168.1.1 to get it on, but routers give it a different address each time- Sorry I am not the best on that- perhaps, someone else can advise you, on majorgeeks, if you want to try that route, if it applies.
    Got to go- missus says - bed, or, out in the garden- warm enough, but better keep her happy,

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds