the user service failed failed the logon

Discussion in 'Software' started by hugh750, Dec 18, 2011.

1. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

has anyone ever got an error message while booting windows vista that said "the user service failed failed the logon"?
    i had it happen twice today, after the first time i thought my profile was messed up so i used killdisk to wipe my drive and i reinstalled vista, but after reinstalling vista and i installed zonealarm and it's toolbar i got the same error message, from what i found out on the web about the error "i used my hp laptop which is running xp home edition and it too is running zonealarm with no problems" i found out the easiest way of restoring my profile is to go into safemode and run system restore" now vista is running fine.;)
    and from what i read on another forum that zonealarm toolbar is powered by conduit and another on the same forum person said it is malware and i agree it kept defaulting my search engine back to zonealarm even though had zonealarm set not to. plus it's a pain to remove, now im running another firewall i never had any problems with.:-D

2. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hi,
    Yes
    The below registry key is where you should investigate for redirects to the wrong user profile.
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Here's the full source of information by MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

3. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

i did do a system restore and removed zonealarm and it's toolbar and vista seems to be working ok now

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds