Gateway S****!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lansberry, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lansberry

lansberry Private E-2

I update my OS because this machine gateway mx6131 has a Home edition (first issue), so i decided to install win xp pro SP3(big mistake!!!). Now my laptop is not recognizing the audio drivers.... i don't have audio and i tried to use the drivers from gateway (3rd big big mistake) and it didn't work, so they add drivers in the support web site and those drivers didn't work!! So i tried to search the drivers on the internet and didn't find any driver that works with this laptop. I spoke to gateway and believed or not they told me that i will have to find the drivers BY MY SELF BECAUSE THEY DON'T SUPPORT THIRD PARTIES... so i thought... ok they just don't want to take care about my issue, so i tried to contact microsoft but i don't have a response from them.... PLEASE IF SOMEBODY COULD HELP TO FIX THIS ISSUE I WILL APPRECIATE!!!!! I NEED THE AUDIO OF MY LAPTOP, MY LAPTOP IS MY JOB AND I CAN'T BELIEVED THAT GATEWAY HAS THE WORSE SUPPORT IN THE WORLD, I FEEL VERY FRUSTRATED WITH THIS SITUATION. I NEED SOME HELP:cry confused :major

PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL
    <snipped for spam reasons>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

How about wiping your drive clean and then reinstalling XP Pro

3. dream.big

dream.big Private E-2

i can't find the name of the sound card you have on your computer, download this program called belarc advisor here
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1385.html
    run it and your sound card should show up under multimedia (or just search for the letter sound within the page)
    post the name here so we can help you out with the driver

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I feel for you. I just finally got everything but the wireless working on a gateway laptop. And if you go to there site, it is in the warranty. If you do not buy a gateway XP copy from them, you lose technical help. But you do not void the hardware warranty.

I think the gateway is the one to hell... And yes, you need to find out what is in the computer and get the drivers from them. (in my experience) Try Belarc, as suggested by dream. A Linux live CD will at least give you the video card and chipset, and sometimes more.

I can't wait to get Damion here out of my house! If I can help, let me know, I will try.

And welcome to MajorGeeks!

Try searching gateway's site using the serial number of the computer. You may have to download multiple drivers and try them.

E

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  5. aeholdeman

aeholdeman Private E-2

i had the same problem with my laptop ya gateway drivers suck major a$$. i did the same thing upgraded to xp pro and all drivers didnt work but when u go to update drivers threw device manager use the intel audio drivers/codecs, for some reason it worked for me. only thing i couldnt get working the was the modem drivers... but i got a pcmcia modem and i have hi-speed cable(or so they say) so i dont need modem.

6. PrivatePile-sir

PrivatePile-sir Private E-2

I have a gateway desktop GT 5220, when you read the sticker, your thinking it's a good machine. Until..... you install any other os aside from the one that gateway sends with it's machines.
    The problem is the pre-load, the device drivers are stored on the hd, so when you use lets say XP PRO or any other os besides gateways, the pre-loaded drivers are erased on the hard drive. The drives that are with xp-pro, xp will not have the gateway specific drivers for your machine, and you will spen countless hours trying to find those drivers only to find they do not work, or gateways website will not let you download them.
    I ran the Belarc Advisor on my gateway, and it did not see any audio hardware at all. It's funny, because I'm running a dual boot with vista, and vista see's the audio hardware. I went as far as contacting the engineering group for my mobo to see if flashing the BIOS would help, It was all good until I said the gateway word.... Thats when I found out about the pre-load delimahhhh.
    I ended up using a pci audio card to remedy the problem for now, because as of yet, I'm still haveing words with the tech team at Gateway.
    I also lost my ethernet, sm bus, pci bridge drivers as well, but was able to recover those by research.
    Good luck with gateway...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds