Ethernet card blinking light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vonnie, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

My brother's computer keeps disconnecting from the internet.
    He said the light on the Ethernet card keeps blinking.
    Does he possibly need a new card?
    Thank you for any help.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to give quite a bit more information. Cable or dsl? Connected directly to a modem or connected through a router? Give make and model of modem and possible router.

3. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

DSL, modem, no router, make and model unknown.
    Verizon said it isn't modem problem.

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Vonnie,

A blinking light on the Ethernet card usually indicates that the card is sending data. That data may not be answered but, it keeps trying.

Luck, Jim

5. plodr

Westell modem? What model?
    dsl modem usually include routers so maybe something needs tweaking.

6. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

It is a Westell Wirespeed and has no buttons. The only way they can turn it off is to unplug it. Probably about 5 years old.

7. plodr

Modems don't normally have on/off switches so that's not unusual. I pull the power cord on mine when I want to reset it.
    For Westell Wirespeed, I'm seeing models like VersaLink, LiteLine and ProLine.
    Please, google those terms and check out the pictures to see which one of the models you have. Then post back so I can start searching for settings and troubleshooting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds