thrmo pad vs arctic silver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnny_cash, Nov 16, 2006.

1. johnny_cash

johnny_cash Private E-2

I have an msi k8n diamond plus mobo and athlon 4000 im getting temps around 47c at idle and about 66 at load do you think i would get better temps if i removed the thrmo pad that came with the cpu and used arctic silver instead.

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

:eek: , I never let my CPU's go over 50c & mine are OCed
    I'd say yes, ditch the stock thermal pad get some Artic Silver 5 or some Artic Ceramique
    I prefer Artic Ceramique
    Safer, non conductive, shorter burn in, last longer, clean's easier

Does your case have good air exchange?
    Might look into aftermarket HSF, ThermalRight make some Awesome heat sinks for reasonable prices check out svc.com or jab-tech.com

Dont forget to clean your cpu & HS before applying new thermal paste

3. johnny_cash

johnny_cash Private E-2

thx for reply my case has 6 fans 2 on front 2 back one on top one on side so it can't be that ill try the artic silver if that don't help then i'll buy after market hsf.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The arctic silver, or ceramique, will definitely help, as suggested, It can reduce temperatures quite a bit.- The number of fans is not always the issue - it is often airflow problems, although you could fit an upgrade like an akasa heatsink and fan, if you have room for them.
    Try disconnecting the front fans, as it could be disturbing the natural flow, and check temperatures again, as these do tend to blow a lot of fluff into the box, as well, which can cause problems after a time.
    Ifyou have a base which has a side window-- Try holding a smoking jos stik, for a very short time, in the front of your computer , and watch the smoke pass through - in case you have a flow problem -

5. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

I would also support baklogic comments in as much as too many case fans many actually be counter productive in respect of overall cooling simply by virtue of the fact that the airflow is disturbed thus creating 'mini' heat storms in your case.

Personally, I would go back to basics and have 2 on the front & rear and run some tests. Then add the side fan and see what happens. As an example, I had to remove the blowhole (top) fan in my case as it caused temps to rise.

In part high cpu temperatures can be caused by many aspects one being poor case airflow. To test this, remove the side of your case and see what impact it has on cpu temp. If temps drop radically then case airflow is the major problem.

The cpu cooler itself is another key element in lowering your temps. In the first instance regardless of whether you are o/cing or not, I would ditch the pads and go for themal paste. I also use Artic Ceramique for reasons already stated.

I note that you have an A64 4000 SanDiego. I am also running this cpu with an E4 revision. The cpu is o/ced from 2400mhz to 2880mhz. Idle and load (prime95 max heat test) are 33C and 44C. My rig's specs are below. One item missing is my new addition, a Lian-Li case which has 120 mm intake and exhaust fan + 120mm side intake. These fans also create positive pressure within the case. There is a blow hole option at the top (80mm) but the temps seemed to rise when I used this. Possibly because my psu OCZ PowerStream has inline fans (ie front and back). Also I had to turn the speed of the 120mm side intake to low ie 950rpms as higher speeds seemed to also have negative temp impact.

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds