"Strange" limited or no connection, but still have access

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stik62, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Stik62

Stik62 Private E-2

This may be a very basic thing but ive never setup a direct connection to a modem (allways use modem-router-network). I have one PC (XP media center) connected to a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem from SBC Yahoo DSL (basic bridge from my research). Internet connection is manually configured (did not use CD). The connection is functional and i can get to the Internet and so on but the "Limited or No Connection" is displayed (yes i have it checked marked to do so and it will go away if i clear it) and my IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx. Is this the normal way the connection works from the modem to the PC. I thought the PC would get a different IP than that? When running the CD does it make changes to hide the "Limited or no Connection" alert with this particular modem? Like i said it does work i just didnt expect the IP i get or the "Limited or no Connection" alert and still have everything work. Does any one know if it is right or wrong?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Are you letting Windows manage your connection or does your pc have additional software that you are using? EG Acer have something called 'Enet Management'
    Netgear have their own software for some cards.

3. Stik62

Stik62 Private E-2

There are no other network management tools installed. I believe i have found the answer. On AT&T yahoo DSL support site you can find that if the limited or no connectivity is shown but you do have a connection remove the check from "notify.......". Apparently this modem does not provide DHCP on the ethernet port. CASE CLOSED.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds