Not enough voltage!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amjad, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Hi!
    The computer at work wasn't stable lately. You are working, suddenly everything halts, you can't do anything. (Even Ctrl+Alt+Delete).
    You have to reset it or even turn off (from the power supply), wait a minute, then turn it on again.

I decided to look at the PC Health Status inside the BIOS SETUP. And I got an important piece of information, look at this:

CPU Temp: 54C / 130F
    MB Temp: 33C / 91F

CPU Fan Speed: 2500 RPM

VCore: 1.352V
    3.3V: 2.864V
    5V: 5.350V
    12V: 12.196V

So, isn't it the 3.3V? It is marked in Red inside the setup.
    What should I do? Should I change the power supply to a more powerful one?
    I think it is only 180 Watts.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2800 MHz (or 3000) I don't remember.
    MB: Asus P4P800

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Not sure any of these are within tolerance.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

And if your CPU is 54c in BIOS, which is in an EXTREME state of doing nothing, it must be at least in the low to mid 60's (or higher) when actually working... TOO HOT! I'm starting to think your problem is more temp related than power; or it's both.... a 180w PSU is too low for anything newer than a P3 (IMHO)

4. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Thanks dlb
    So you suspect the temp? What do you suggest? Changing the heat sink? Could an air blower solve the problem? Should I use new thermal paste?

I once had this temp issue (60C and above) in one computer and I solved it by down-clocking the CPU. (It was 2200 MHz and I mad 1500 MHz) and that solved the problem for good.

I think I'll try a 300W PSU and see if it works.

5. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

The BIOS is flagging the 3.3V only, so I considered it the problem.
    So you think there is a problem in the others too?

:cry

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Look at page 22
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\atx2_2.pdf

The 5 volt spec is 5V +/- 5% i.e. +/- 0.25 volts so your 5 volt rail is a trifle over. 5.08 to 5.15 would be what I would expect.

You will need to look up the core voltage on the intel website for your processor.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I think both a new PSU and a new heatsink on the CPU (use new thermal snot) are freekin' BRILLIANT ideas! ;)

Happy Holidays! :wine

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its an older P4, most likely a PrescHOT, and that temperature is within safe range. Its not until you hit 70+ celcius that you need worry.

9. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Can you post more detailed specs about your CPU and ram? I would say a 180watt PSU is way underrated for the hardware your running, more so if it is a "PrescHOT" core. What are your load temps ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds