c:\windows\system32\grpconv.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by SumskiGujd3k, Oct 25, 2010.

1. SumskiGujd3k

SumskiGujd3k Private E-2

Hy!

First of all I do apologise for my bad english.

I have one file missing and your collegs from malware forum adviced my to contact you.

I have windows xp without OS disc.

I'am missing the following file:
    c:\windows\system32\grpconv.exe

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sumski

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, SumskiGujd3k.

We need to know what service pack # you're running, as the file may be written differently for various Windows packages.

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

The OP has-

Platform:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] SP2

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Caliban,

From his other thread the OS should be "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized version. To mantain system stability, Windows must restore the original version of these files. Insert Windows XP Professional service pack 2 cd now."

5. Caliban

Ah - thanks, guys.

Then, I'm going to have to bow out - I'm only running W7 64-bit machines here. Someone with XP SP2 should jump onboard shortly.

For info: the file in question here is listed as 18kb, assuming that's all you need.

6. SumskiGujd3k

SumskiGujd3k Private E-2

Hi guys!

when I have run some antimalware programs I got this message:"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized version. To mantain system stability, Windows must restore the original version of these files. Insert Windows XP Professional service pack 2 cd now."

Unfortunatly I dont have this cd...
    Also I have instal Avira-Antivirus and I got three times notification that I missing this file.

A'Im beginner concernig the computers so please help.

Thanks,

Sumski

7. sach2

I only have that file from WinXP Pro service pack 3.

I guess it couldn't hurt to unzip it and put it in the system32 folder and restart. See if you still get errors. If you do just delete the file and see if anyone can provide you with one from service pack2.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. SumskiGujd3k

SumskiGujd3k Private E-2

Thanks for help but he is asking me for the service pack 2.

Should I wait or should I do new post?

Thanks anyway

9. sach2

Maybe you could check to see if c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\grpconv.exe exists?
    If it does you could copy the grpconv.exe file over to System32.

I saw a couple of threads where people found a copy in that ServicePackFolder.

10. SumskiGujd3k

SumskiGujd3k Private E-2

no, nothing..

I dont have it in this folder and nowhere on my computer..

but thanks

11. Caliban

No takers yet, eh? Hang in there. ;)

12. sach2

Ok, this one is an SP2 version. I hope it is compatible.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. SumskiGujd3k

SumskiGujd3k Private E-2

It is.

At least I think it is. I extract the file in my system32 folder and I did not get any error. Restarted the computer and everything is looking ok.

Thanks for your help and support.

Respect,
    Sumski

14. Caliban

Glad you got it, Sumski, and thanks for the feedback. :major

(Good job, sach2 - glad to have you back. ;))

15. sach2

You're welcome! :)

I hope that is all you needed. That particular file doesn't look all that important from what I have read but if you were constantly getting an error I guess it must have been needed by your system.

Hi Caliban,
    Thanks. I switched to Win7 last year and it is surprising how fast one's knowledge of XP fades away. I found it difficult to be of much use here of late. I see the site is doing fine despite my absence. :)

16. lemonthirst

lemonthirst Private E-2

Well, i've came across this problem today. With a computer in the network. Had a trojan, that has been removed but im still getting an error that the file is missing. Restored the file but it seems to have the same issue. Dont know what to do. I could restore the whole system but it will take a lot of time because of email bkp's doc's and ... Any ideas?

17. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Start a fresh thread of your own Lemonthirst. ;) This is very old and it is also considered bad etiquette to tack onto someone else's thread.

18. lemonthirst

lemonthirst Private E-2

Thanks, sorry i didn't read the forum rules when i posted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds