Gotta learn me some C

Discussion in 'Software' started by Genius Boy, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

I got into my Comp Sci class yesterday and was hit with a lovely surprise. Last semester's Comp Sci class was totally focussed on learning object oriented programming in Java. This semester's course was supposed to be a continuation of that course with emphasis on learning about abstract data types and advanced algorithms in Java.

But, for some reason, the prof decided that Java is not enough. We all have to learn how to do everything new in Java, and then learn C on our own so that we will be able to work in both languages.

The course textbook is in Java. She hasn't suggested any other textbooks to pick up so that I can learn C. Can anyone suggest to me a good textbook (preferably less than $100) that I can get to learn C from?

2. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Kernighan and Richie ANSI C and/or Deitel and Deitel C How to program second edition (Edition matters)

3. Genius Boy

Thanks. How about some free(ish) Windows compilers/programming enviroments?

4. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

as free goes, Dev-C++ compiler V5 is a good one, bit buggy but its run by the mingw compiler <think of llinux's GCC> you can find it here www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html .

5. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

you can disregard, i though you ment C++ for some reason

erm ment to edit the other one, any way to delete posts?

6. Genius Boy

Not any more

7. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

oh FYI you can use the compiler i mentioend for c

8. Genius Boy

Thanks. I've got it downloaded and installed and it's working fine. It's working so fine, in fact, that I emailed my prof and suggested she link to it on the course website. So now, in addition to an entire Java based course on "Data Structures and Algorithms", there are going to be about 150 first year engineering students trying to learn C and using Dev-C++ to do so.

You should be proud :D

9. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

good too hear. its a very nice IDE. if i was wilkling to pay i'd probablay use MSVS simply cause i hear its good, but it cost money so :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds